General Discussion Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 16, 2014, 06:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Aura7541

DD_Bwest

Normally, on a sunny day like today i can see snow capped mountains in the distance, including Mount Baker in washington state.   its a clear gorgeous view of it.   but today is different.  there is so much dang smoke from fires the sky is like a brownish grey.

I dont like it,  someone make it rain please

DD_Bwest

pemberton, which is a few hours drive north essentially

Legend

Xevross

Jul 06, 2015, 07:16 PM Last Edit: Jul 06, 2015, 07:18 PM by Xevross
I did the first round of the seti cipher challenge today and it was super duper hard. 119 teams of 5 people had 9 hours to figure it out and no one did. I'll just leave it here for you guys to have a go if you want:

The ATLAS detector at CERN has been reporting some anomalous events over the last week. We are choosing to share these events with a select group of physicists since they are currently unexplained and rather peculiar. We would be grateful for any insight you might provide.

The LHC is currently engaged in its 13TeV proton proton run and collisions have been on going for a number of weeks. However, the events we wish to report have been identified by ATLAS during beam down time. We stress there are no collisions occurring in the machine when these events are observed. We have now suspended all beam activity while we investigate.

The events identified are compatible with single particle anti-particle creation at the collision point in ATLAS. Events typically have total energies reported in the calorimeters in excess of 20 TeV. The events are typically seen during a 25minute window approximately every 2 hours 20 mins. Three example patterns are reproduced below - we label events as e for electron positron events, m for muon anti-muon events, t for tau anti-tau events and j for any quark jet events, g for di-photon events.

Burst 1: jj (each burst of events takes approximately 1 minute from initial to final event)
Approximately 1 minute 30s delay
Burst 2: jjmjjj
Burst 3: jjmjjejjj
Burst 4: jjjjjjjjj
Approximately 4 minute delay
Burst 5: jjtj
Approximately 6.5 minute break
Burst 6: jjjjjejj
Burst 7: jjjgjjjjj
Burst 8: jjjjjtjjjj

Burst 1: gj (each burst of events takes approximately 1 minute from initial to final event)
Burst 2: jjjjjj
Burst 3: jjjjjmjj
Burst 4: jjjjjjtjjj
Burst 5: jjjj
Burst 6: jjjgjjjj
Burst 7: jjjjejjjjj
Burst 8: jjjjjjjjmjj

Burst 1: j (each burst of events takes approximately 1 minute from initial to final event)
Burst 2: jjejjjg
Burst 3: jjgjjjjjj
Burst 4: jjjjjjmjjjj
Burst 5: jjjj
Burst 6: jjjtjj
Burst 7: jjjjjjejjj
Burst 8: jjjgjjtjjjj

Any understanding of the origin of these events would be gratefully received.

Legend

Xevross

Legend

Nailed it
Nah I remember a few months ago there was a strange signal that lots of people thought was coming from aliens. Ended up just being from people opening and closing their microwaves.

Xevross

Nah I remember a few months ago there was a strange signal that lots of people thought was coming from aliens. Ended up just being from people opening and closing their microwaves.
Hahaha that's pretty funny. Well it is supposed to be aliens but of course its fake

Xevross

Still haven't solved it but I'll say what we found out after many hours of thinking and lots of hints

Spoiler for Hidden:
The type of event doesn't matter because whoever is communicating can't control exactly what type of event can occur, its the number of events in each burst which is significant. Seeing as some aren't traceable you have to take the maximum for each burst. This leads to the sequence of 2, 7, 9, 10, 4, 8, 9, 10 which the aliens are trying to communicate. If you take the extra 2.5 min gaps as a 0, this changes to 2, 7, 9, 10, 0, 4, 0, 0, 8, 9, 10. Due to one of the hints it seems this sequence has something to do with e and you have to use different bases to work it out but I haven't figured out what to do yet, exactly.

Aura7541

I can't go to the Chertz homepage. Is it just me, or has the site been down more often than before (as in before E3)?

Xbro

I can't go to the Chertz homepage. Is it just me, or has the site been down more often than before (as in before E3)?
It's down for me as well. Hope it doesn't go down when the mafia game starts.
3 people like this

Xevross

Legend

Jul 07, 2015, 04:31 AM Last Edit: Jul 07, 2015, 05:03 AM by Legend

Xbro

Nobody has any decent funds to steal... :'(
3 people like this

Go Up