So many games start with quotes, can you even remember a single one?

Started by Legend, Sep 11, 2023, 05:43 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

It's a very common trope yet has it ever been meaningful for you?

All the uncharted games start with a quote yet they're just basic things about adventure. Heaven's Vault has a random quote in the menu and some game I played recently had a fictitious in universe quote. Yet I don't even remember which game it was.

They're super easy to toss into a game, heck Hapax has a few astronaut quotes, but are they ever actually interesting to you?

edt: this list misses a lot but you can see a large sampling of games that do this. Totally forgot SOMA and Death Stranding started with quotes. https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Epigraph

Legend

BTW this is the quote I start Hapax with.

"Whoopee! Man, that may have been a small one for Neil, but that's a long one for me." Pete Conrad, 1969

the-pi-guy

Uncharted 3's opening quote:

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did.

This is probably the only one that I remember part of.

nnodley

I kinda remember the uncharted ones, but yeah I think most of the time they are pointless

kitler53

uncharted is certainly one of the best examples of quote usage.   it really does a great job of introducing the gist of the story we'll be playing but having a semi-relvant quote from the explore who's treasure we'll be chasing.  

sic parvis magna is the name of my wifi.   i like that quote a lot.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

sic parvis magna is the name of my wifi.   i like that quote a lot.
Great saying but that's on his ring. It's an actual part of the story which is much cooler.

kitler53

Great saying but that's on his ring. It's an actual part of the story which is much cooler.
i mean, yes.  but also it is a quote.   i just like it a lot.  ..but i get what you're saying is not a sentence written on the screen.   think of that more of an "and" to my post as it seemed related to the thread.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

I don't think there is anything bad about starting with the quotes.

It's like a piece of dialogue. Sometimes there is a line that just sticks with you/strikes a chord. Either personally or in the context of the game.

The Uncharted 2 quote is not particularly memorable for me. But it was still a great tease, I think.

nnodley

uncharted is certainly one of the best examples of quote usage.   it really does a great job of introducing the gist of the story we'll be playing but having a semi-relvant quote from the explore who's treasure we'll be chasing.  

sic parvis magna is the name of my wifi.   i like that quote a lot.
sic parvis magna is tattooed around my left wrist.  I like the idea of it being a wifi name. lol