PC Community Thread

Started by the-pi-guy, Jul 31, 2014, 02:28 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

New laptop is so much better than I expected.  

The case looks great and very solid.  Great hardware, and the cooling system seems solid.  Lighter than I expected.  Mouse is kinda cool, but eh.  

Literally my only complaint is that the charge box is a little big.
Glad it's working out!

Is it a standard charger that you could replace?

Dr. Pezus

My 15 inch was hurting my back in University ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Weaksauce! It's like 2-3kg

darkknightkryta

Weaksauce! It's like 2-3kg
I had it this overly sized case, and then in my bag

the-pi-guy

Glad it's working out!

Is it a standard charger that you could replace?
Probably, but I am not worried about it.  

the-pi-guy

Playing Cities Skylines for the first time.

First city building game I've played.

A lot to learn.  

Legend

Playing Cities Skylines for the first time.

First city building game I've played.

A lot to learn.  
Oh you're in for a treat!

Play it without a guide. I made so many dumb mistakes with my first city and it was really fun.

the-pi-guy

Amazon.com: AmazonBasics USB 3.1 Type-C to 4 Port USB Hub - Black: Computers & Accessories

Need this to play VR on my laptop.

Oh you're in for a treat!

Play it without a guide. I made so many dumb mistakes with my first city and it was really fun.
To be honest, I already restarted the game at that point.  Mostly because I was figuring out how everything worked.

Legend

Amazon.com: AmazonBasics USB 3.1 Type-C to 4 Port USB Hub - Black: Computers & Accessories

Need this to play VR on my laptop.
To be honest, I already restarted the game at that point.  Mostly because I was figuring out how everything worked.
How far have you made it in your biggest city?

the-pi-guy

How far have you made it in your biggest city?
Not that far.  Only played a couple times.  

Xevross

So today I learned that RAM is actually very important for gaming. My laptop had 8GB which I thought was fine but I noticed when I was playing Forza Horizon 4 that it was running not so well, and by the looks of task manager it was RAM limiting it. So I bought a new 8GB ram stick for 16GB in total and holy hell what a difference.

I went from ~50fps on medium with occasional freezing and stuttering (possibly to load the world) to a rock solid 60fps on ultra. Wish I'd done that before I'd finished most of the game, it looks absolutely phenomenal now.

Legend

So today I learned that RAM is actually very important for gaming. My laptop had 8GB which I thought was fine but I noticed when I was playing Forza Horizon 4 that it was running not so well, and by the looks of task manager it was RAM limiting it. So I bought a new 8GB ram stick for 16GB in total and holy hell what a difference.

I went from ~50fps on medium with occasional freezing and stuttering (possibly to load the world) to a rock solid 60fps on ultra. Wish I'd done that before I'd finished most of the game, it looks absolutely phenomenal now.
I'm crying over here with my 8GB ram  :'(

Yeah it's pretty important. It's funny how as of lately everything has really focused on GPU and ram. I wonder if that will continue next gen or if it's just a side effect of current gen consoles being balanced that way.

the-pi-guy

I'm surprised it made such a difference, to be honest.  

Xevross

Oct 04, 2018, 03:11 PM Last Edit: Oct 04, 2018, 03:15 PM by Xevross
I'm surprised it made such a difference, to be honest.  
Yeah so am I. I think it's because of how limited it was. With windows 10 eating over 4GB of RAM it only had about 3.7GB to play with before, and now it's using 5.5GB.

I also don't get why my CPU is doing less work now. It used to be matching the RAM with being at 90%+ on task manager but now it's running the game at around 60%.

the-pi-guy

Yeah so am I. I think it's because of how limited it was. With windows 10 eating over 4GB of RAM it only had about 3.7GB to play with before, and now it's using 5.5GB.
Man, I guess I didn't completely realize Windows 10 was such a hog.  :o

I also don't get why my CPU is doing less work now. It used to be matching the RAM with being at 90%+ on task manager but now it's running the game at around 60%.
The CPU doesn't have to work as hard to make sure what it needs is in RAM.  

Having to constantly write and read from the hard drive is incredibly time consuming and uses a lot of CPU time.  

Xevross

Man, I guess I didn't completely realize Windows 10 was such a hog.  :o
The CPU doesn't have to work as hard to make sure what it needs is in RAM.  

Having to constantly write and read from the hard drive is incredibly time consuming and uses a lot of CPU time.  
Yeah windows 10 is a greedy RAM joker.

Makes sense. I don't know computers very well  ::)

Go Up