Learning a language? Come share your progress here!

Viewing single post

Started by Legend, Dec 20, 2016, 06:31 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

I decided to scrap my card game idea.  Just a lot of issues that I wasn't really finding good solutions for.  

Like I wasn't sure how I wanted to handle the writing with Hiragana, vs Kanji vs the English meaning.  Like some Hiragana words have several, completely different meanings, and that's why Kanji is really important.  Then I was thinking maybe have a separate deck of Kanji to match the Hiragana word (so that the player has the words to match them to), but I didn't really like that either.

And I wasn't sure how to handle the deck.  What happens if the player can't match any of the characters.  Imagine if you got a hand that said "hhhhh", what are the players options.  I don't like the idea of having super large hands, or an infinite deck.  

I'm not sure if those issues make sense, but I just didn't like any solution for them.  

I kind of decided I didn't want to go through with it a while ago.

I woke up this morning and I pretty quickly found myself with a new idea, to make an RPG.  With the card game project, the more I thought about it, the more that I felt that it couldn't really work the way I was wanting it to.  With this RPG though, the more I think about it, the more exciting it is.  

It kind of ties in with the Skyrim project that I posted on the first page, except I thought of some really nice ways to structure it.