Science General Discussion

Started by Legend, Sep 02, 2014, 07:17 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

BananaKing

Spoiler for Hidden:
I just got a laugh when they landed on the one super speed high gravity planet. They should have been pasted instead of being able to walk around.

it just had 30% more gravity than earth.

BananaKing

so i got a question, what would happen if two planets nearly collide? i mean just miss each other.

Raven

so i got a question, what would happen if two planets nearly collide? i mean just miss each other.

There is almost certainly a distance at which the effects would be catastrophic, at least on the surface, while still missing each other. I would imagine a ton of electromagnetic disturbances, tremendous winds, very high temperatures, raging storms, possible tectonic upheaval, in addition to some atmospheric and gravitational effects I can't even imagine. Then again I could be completely wrong and we'd just pass by while waving at each other. Put it this way, if the moon's gravity effects us you can probably imagine two equally sized planets with substantial gravity zipping by each other at high speed within relative "inches" wouldn't be fun.

Legend

Spoiler for Hidden:

Yeah but in the movie the black hole was used to hide that building right?

BK edit: just covering up spoilers, yo.

Oops.

darkknightkryta

There is almost certainly a distance at which the effects would be catastrophic, at least on the surface, while still missing each other. I would imagine a ton of electromagnetic disturbances, tremendous winds, very high temperatures, raging storms, possible tectonic upheaval, in addition to some atmospheric and gravitational effects I can't even imagine. Then again I could be completely wrong and we'd just pass by while waving at each other. Put it this way, if the moon's gravity effects us you can probably imagine two equally sized planets with substantial gravity zipping by each other at high speed within relative "inches" wouldn't be fun.

Well considering what the moon does to the oceans...

Raven

Well considering what the moon does to the oceans...

Or what I do to you in bed. Wait what?

Xevross

Raven

Xevross

It was a secret only to you. I'm the village bicycle.

You may want to check out your seat, riding you was very comfy

the-pi-guy

Legend

the-pi-guy

Can't watch the video atm but going off the title

no?...

He's joking.  :D
It's a Vsauce video. 

Legend

Oh hey it's exactly what I've been telling people about everyone knowing the Earth was round! Hahaha.

Also with the gravity thing, was he ignoring Earth's rotation? I mean squishing the planet like that would greatly increase theradius so innertia would really help keep gravity feeling down.

the-pi-guy

Oh hey it's exactly what I've been telling people about everyone knowing the Earth was round! Hahaha.

Also with the gravity thing, was he ignoring Earth's rotation? I mean squishing the planet like that would greatly increase the radius so innertia would really help keep gravity feeling down.

I think he was ignoring Earth's rotation. 

But to flatten the Earth like that would require a different type of gravity.  Normal tends to be rather spherical because everything is being pulled into the middle.

Legend

Here's a new subject of discussion.

1. A rocket shoots off from Earth. It accelerates almost instantaneously to 99% of the speed of light, relative to Earth. This rocket then does a grand tour of the Milky Way galaxy. After going in a large circle, it slows down and lands back on the Earth. Earth clocks will have shown thousands of years have passed, while clocks in the rocket will only show a few minutes have passed. Correct?

2. If so, then the same is repeated except with space ship A and space ship B. Both are in orbit around our solar system, but far off beyond Pluto. Space ship A never turns on its engines, while space ship B shoots off on a grand tour of the galaxy, just like the rocket before. Relative to space ship A, space ship B is going 99% the speed of light. When space ship B returns, its clocks show only a few minutes have passed, while space ship A's clocks show thousands of years have passed. Correct?

3. If so, then the same is repeated expect out in deep deep space, far away from any galaxies. Space ship A and space ship B are out in the middle of nowhere with the same relative velocities. Then space ship B turns on its engines and shoots off for a similar journey as before, just in empty space. When space ship B returns, its clocks show only a few minutes have passed, while space ship A's clocks show thousands of years have passed. Correct?

4. If so, then the exact same thing is repeated with two new ships. However both of these ships have no windows and no way to see the outside world, except for the other space ship. When this happens, both ships perceive the other ship is the one flying off at 99% the speed of light. When the ships meet up again, they would both think the other ship had perceived a shorter amount of time. Correct?

See if you can try and spot the flaw in this line of thinking.

Go Up