The VR thread. U R Not red(e) PSVR2 is legitimate!

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Sep 05, 2015, 06:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

How sick of Pi's VR hype are you?

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Oculus Reddit is getting all up in arms about PiMax 8K. 

Today, I've seen 3 threads about how it's not really 8K, but 2*4K. 

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

Legend

the-pi-guy

That seems unbelievably high resolution. How could you stream that many pixels to the headset?
It's still a pretty decent sized jump, but it might be closer than we think:

DisplayLink Reveals New Details About Wireless VR Solution

DisplayLink's wireless XR platform is a combination of hardware and software that enables latency-free transmission of VR data signals. The wireless system uses DisplayLink's DL8020 chips, which are capable of driving resolutions up to 4K. Davis also said that the system currently operates at 90Hz, but there is "loads of space" for higher refresh rate displays in the future. The DL8020 chips can interface with DisplayPort and HDMI (HTC's solution offers both to support the Vive and Vive Pro HMDs), so companies can adapt it for any HMD.

Intel's WiGig technology handles the wireless data transmission via a 60GHz direct line-of-sight signal. WiGig technology isn't new, but Intel repurposed the technology for VR, which required redesigning the hardware. Davis explained that Intel created a new antenna system for wireless VR that enables an unobstructed line of sight to the head-mounted wireless VR adapter. The new WiGig antenna features 2m tether cable, which enables you to install it high on your wall or a stand.

Legend

It's still a pretty decent sized jump, but it might be closer than we think:

DisplayLink Reveals New Details About Wireless VR Solution

I didn't even think of line of sight. That could definitely manage it but is it a good solution for VR? Losing positional tracking is bad enough in VR and that can still use dead reckoning to mask it. Losing the video stream would ruin the experience.

the-pi-guy

DisplayLink XR used a PCI card in the PC running the VR game with a transmitter wired up in the ceiling. It claims the signal should not have problems transmitting through walls, though.
Wireless HTC Vive tested: One of VR's problems solved, but two remain | Ars Technica

I didn't even think of line of sight. That could definitely manage it but is it a good solution for VR? Losing positional tracking is bad enough in VR and that can still use dead reckoning to mask it. Losing the video stream would ruin the experience.

I haven't heard too much about it.  I don't think people have used it too much, just a few demonstrations as far as I know.  We'll have to see how well it works.  

Legend

Wireless HTC Vive tested: One of VR's problems solved, but two remain | Ars Technica

I haven't heard too much about it.  I don't think people have used it too much, just a few demonstrations as far as I know.  We'll have to see how well it works.  
Going off on a tangent, it seems VR will delay game streaming.

At the start of the gen everyone seemed to assume PS5 could be a non traditional console that only streamed games from the cloud. That tech isn't mature enough yet but for VR it won't be mature for decades.

PS6 and even PS7 are all but guaranteed to be non cloud based unless VR gets seperated from game consoles.

the-pi-guy

Variable focus lenses.

Jeez VR is moving fast .

But some people expected it:

Legend

Variable focus lenses.

Jeez VR is moving fast .

But some people expected it:

Crazy awesome. Variable focus in VR has been the big thing missing imo.

the-pi-guy

Crazy awesome. Variable focus in VR has been the big thing missing imo.
It's just crazy how quickly VR has been improving.  
We are already seeing headsets with 2 4k screens, wireless is coming fast, variable focus, eye tracking, and more!  

Only 2 years after they came out, and the Vive and Rift already feel like they are going to become dated.

Legend

It's just crazy how quickly VR has been improving.  
We are already seeing headsets with 2 4k screens, wireless is coming fast, variable focus, eye tracking, and more!  

Only 2 years after they came out, and the Vive and Rift already feel like they are going to become dated.
I'm really suprised first gen headsets didn't have eye tracking. It wouldn't have been the best but it would have given the software time to mature. It's just so important for so many things.

Plus I look forward to the time that VR rendering is actually matched up to your pupil location. Headset wouldn't need to be perfectly placed to give you the perfect view and games could include the parallax from the eye rotating. With variable focus, such a headset would simulate every component of vision.

the-pi-guy

I'm really suprised first gen headsets didn't have eye tracking. It wouldn't have been the best but it would have given the software time to mature. It's just so important for so many things.
Yeah.  The Fove was already being showed off before the Rift CV was announced.  Really surprising that they didn't also include eye tracking.  

the-pi-guy

Beat Saber VR is the highest rated game + Global Top seller (include non-VR games) on Steam | ResetEra

https://www.roadtovr.com/beat-saber-now-highest-rated-title-steam-vr-otherwise/ 99% positive score with 1250 reviews (Overwhelmingly Positive)
After only three days since launch, Beat Saber (2018), the VR rhythm game that puts two lightsabers in your hands, is now the highest rated game on Steam--not just the highest rated VR game, but the highest rated game out of all titles, flatscreen games included.Click to expand...
Even at this early stage of development, it's already won over the VR community enough to place it just above Valve's Portal 2 (2011). At the time of this writing, Beat Saber boasts a 99% positive score with 1250 reviews, giving it an 'Overwhelmingly Positive' rating.Click to expand...

Legend

It's such a great idea and seems to be perfectly executed. I wouldn't be surprised if we're witnessing the birth of some new mega game.

People loved it the last time I saw it on reddit.

Go Up