Florida School Shooting: 17 Reported Dead

Viewing single post

Started by the-pi-guy, Feb 15, 2018, 12:08 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Wikipedia has a bunch of things that I've never heard before now.  

The suspected shooter, Nikolas Cruz, took an Uber ride and was dropped off at the school at 2:19 p.m. EST
He literally got there at the time, the school unlocked their doors.  

He came when he knew the gates would be open and set off a fire alarm that would dismantle a safety system, officials say. And the school resource officer, who is supposed to help protect students, may not have been on school grounds at the time.
Separate article because I thought it was weird he was able to get in.

he activated a fire alarm and began firing at students and teachers.
This part made me start tearing up:
Fifteen-year-old Peter Wang was last seen in his Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps (JROTC) uniform, holding open doors so others could get out more quickly. He was called a hero, and a White House petition was circulated calling for him to be buried with full military honors
Cruz had behavior issues, and he was transferred between schools six times in three years in order to deal with these problems.

In 2014, he was transferred to a school for children with emotional or learning disabilities, and returned to Stoneman Douglas High School two years later.
He had previously received mental health treatment, but had not received treatment in the year leading up to the shooting
An email from the school administration had circulated among teachers, warning that Cruz had made threats against other students. This led the school to ban him from wearing a backpack on campus
In total, the sheriff's office received 23 calls about Cruz over a decade