Learning a language? Come share your progress here!

Viewing single post

Started by Legend, Dec 20, 2016, 06:31 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

I've started learning Dutch. Sentence structure seems very easy for an English speaker but they have a few odd words compared to us. Has a third neutral gender unlike Spanish which is fun to get used to.
Language Difficulty Ranking | Effective Language Learning

Dutch seems to be a fairly easy language.  

This is interesting:
Frisian languages - Wikipedia

Would be really hard to make it have a good learning curve.
There are tons of aspects to it, that really would need to be figured out.  

How to teach:
I could imagine some sort of classroom experience.  You have to go somewhere and get taught by a character.  
I could imagine language options in a menu.  Where you could go to the menu and be taught a lesson, and enable/disable grammar lessons.  
Or find books along the way, that you'd read as you go along that would unlock those things.  

I think the second option would probably be optimal for learning curve.  Let the player set the curve, but if they are too aggressive, they might get frustrated.

There's a few function decisions right there, and those don't cover how to handle the game switching over to another language. Vocabulary would also need a functional decision on how to be taken care of.  And those are completely disregarding the rest of the game.  

I just think there's a crazy amount of potential for a game like that.  So much of language software, I think it's very difficult for the average person to sit down for an hour even.  

What other medium do people sit down and consume for hours and hours at a time.  Plus there's no very little comparison for the amount of immersion you could pull off, without actually going to a certain place.  

Difficult, but at the same time there just feels like there's a crazy amount of potential there.