Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Not watching, but:

Dr. Pezus

Xevross

Black Panther is heading for the 6th biggest 3-day weekend opening of all time in the US. That's absolutely insane.

Currently predicted at $187m for the 3 day weekend, and about $215m for the 4 day weekend. That 4 day total would put it just above Age of Ultron and slightly below The Avengers at the top of the MCU openings.

It puts it well clear of Iron Man 3's solo opening record ($174m) and by far the highest Origins film.

Another fun fact, if it does reach its forecasts then it should pass Justice League's total in less than a week.

Dr. Pezus

Feb 17, 2018, 02:49 PM Last Edit: Feb 17, 2018, 02:56 PM by Dr. Pez
Black Panther is heading for the 6th biggest 3-day weekend opening of all time in the US. That's absolutely insane.

Currently predicted at $187m for the 3 day weekend, and about $215m for the 4 day weekend. That 4 day total would put it just above Age of Ultron and slightly below The Avengers at the top of the MCU openings.

It puts it well clear of Iron Man 3's solo opening record ($174m) and by far the highest Origins film.

Another fun fact, if it does reach its forecasts then it should pass Justice League's total in less than a week.
Woah, way higher than expected. I'm guessing the great reviews helped

The movie seems to be very divisive on imdb. Only 7.7 so early and popular user reviews don't seem happy. Wouldn't surprise me that the movie got judged more fairly by critics due to the political/racial factors even though I'm sure the movie is very good. But is it 88 on meta good?

Xevross

The movie seems to be very divisive on imdb. Only 7.7 so early and popular user reviews don't seem happy. Wouldn't surprise me that the movie got judged more fairly by critics due to the political/racial factors even though I'm sure the movie is very good. But is it 88 on meta good?
Audience scores are getting bombed by racists/ DC fans/ other haters. Its pretty much universally liked by actual audiences.

Its not 88 meta good in my eyes, but its close.

the-pi-guy

88 on meta is especially good for movies.  
And yes, whiny people complaining about black people are definitely going to bring the score down.  

Dr. Pezus

88 on meta is especially good for movies.  
And yes, whiny people complaining about black people are definitely going to bring the score down.  
88 is craycray for movies, Best Picture territory

the-pi-guy

88 is craycray for movies, Best Picture territory
Oh, I misread what you just said.  :P

Legend

Not watching, but:

I hope there's more to it than what the commercial shows.

Spoiler for Hidden:
I'd be pretty disappointed if it's just a repeat of the first movie but with the roles reversed.

Dr. Pezus

Oh, I misread what you just said.  :P
Understandably  ::)

Xevross

I hope there's more to it than what the commercial shows.

Spoiler for Hidden:
I'd be pretty disappointed if it's just a repeat of the first movie but with the roles reversed.

Agreed. I'm just hoping they're trying not to spoil the main plot so they're focusing on unimportant points.

Xevross

Feb 18, 2018, 04:32 PM Last Edit: Feb 18, 2018, 04:35 PM by Xevross
Man, Black Panther gross estimates just keep increasing. Its funny to think that about a month ago people were thinking a $100m+ opening weekend would be insane and a fantastic achievement.

The Friday gross was $76m, which is the 8th highest of all time, and the saturday and sunday numbers are looking abnormally high.

With what's looking like a phenomenal saturday performance, weekend estimates have increased to $192m, which would put it above Age of Ultron as the 5th biggest opening of all time. Absolutely crazy performance for an origins film.

With the 4 day weekend to help it, it has a chance of overtaking Avengers for the 4 day gross.

Xevross

MCU Origins films opening weekends (million dollars):

Hulk - 55
Ant-Man - 57
Captain America - 65
Thor - 66
Dr. Strange - 85
Guardians - 94
Iron Man - 98
Spiderman - 117
Black Panther - 192

Jee zus

Legend

MCU Origins films opening weekends (million dollars):

Hulk - 55
Ant-Man - 57
Captain America - 65
Thor - 66
Dr. Strange - 85
Guardians - 94
Iron Man - 98
Spiderman - 117
Black Panther - 192

Jee zus
It's crazy how good it's doing. Kinda is the MCU version of wonder woman, in the sense that it's become a juggernaut out of nowhere.

Doubt it'll be topped for a long time.

Xevross

It's crazy how good it's doing. Kinda is the MCU version of wonder woman, in the sense that it's become a juggernaut out of nowhere.

Doubt it'll be topped for a long time.
I expect only Avengers films and possible sequels will be able to top this in the MCU. Civil War is pretty much as big as it gets outside of Avengers and BP has beaten that by a fair way.

Just waiting for Rth on the box office theory forums to indicate if $192 is indeed another underestimate (pretty much every number has been an underestimate for this film). It would be incredible if it managed 200m.

Go Up