Star Citizen

Started by Raven, Jan 23, 2017, 05:40 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

3.0 might end up being their gamescom demo at this rate.

Also they hit $150 million

Raven

May 20, 2017, 10:04 PM Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 10:11 PM by Raven
2017 WEEK 20

3.0 might end up being their gamescom demo at this rate.

Also they hit $150 million
Nah. Their Gamescom demo will most likely be Squadron 42. They've teased a number of times now that they'll have something to show in "the coming months". They are actually making great progress on 3.0. There are a lot of things about that patch that are already completed and were even before the schedule report first started being listed. It has taken them about a month to push the anticipated release back by a week. Even if they do so again another month from now, the patch is still going to be out before the end of July. They'll release it before Gamescom even if they have to move other things out of 3.0. Most of the more important elements of 3.0 that people are wanting, like landing on a celestial surface, are ready to go.

Legend

Nah. Their Gamescom demo will most likely be Squadron 42. They've teased a number of times now that they'll have something to show in "the coming months". They are actually making great progress on 3.0. There are a lot of things about that patch that are already completed and were even before the schedule report first started being listed. It has taken them about a month to push the anticipated release back by a week. Even if they do so again another month from now, the patch is still going to be out before the end of July. They'll release it before Gamescom even if they have to move other things out of 3.0. Most of the more important elements of 3.0 that people are wanting, like landing on a celestial surface, are ready to go.
Final release has been pushed back three weeks exactly, so that's 5 weeks of work to 3 weeks of delay.

Release is currently set for 62 days from now so with a little math, extrapolated release is 155 days from now or the middle of October.

Gamescom is only 94 days from now. That'd mean they'd have to average under 1.36 weeks of delay for one month of work to get it released before gamescom.

I expect it to be out in some form by Gamescom too, but I think the full public release could go either way.

Raven

Final release has been pushed back three weeks exactly, so that's 5 weeks of work to 3 weeks of delay.

Release is currently set for 62 days from now so with a little math, extrapolated release is 155 days from now or the middle of October.

Gamescom is only 94 days from now. That'd mean they'd have to average under 1.36 weeks of delay for one month of work to get it released before gamescom.

I expect it to be out in some form by Gamescom too, but I think the full public release could go either way.

Final release was a timeframe shortly after the schedule report went live. June 30th was the earliest from the start and that has only changed by one week. This patch is not being pushed back to October. That's absurd. As I said, a lot of progress has already been made. Worst case scenario is that a few features will be pushed to a smaller patch or 3.1 but they're not going to push the live release of 3.0 back beyond Gamescom when all of the major highlights of this patch are either done or close to it. Special testing and general testing are both still on track for their original start dates and the bulk of the patch is still currently expected to be done before special testing even begins in the first week of June.

Legend

Final release was a timeframe shortly after the schedule report went live. June 30th was the earliest from the start and that has only changed by one week. This patch is not being pushed back to October. That's absurd. As I said, a lot of progress has already been made. Worst case scenario is that a few features will be pushed to a smaller patch or 3.1 but they're not going to push the live release of 3.0 back beyond Gamescom when all of the major highlights of this patch are either done or close to it. Special testing and general testing are both still on track for their original start dates and the bulk of the patch is still currently expected to be done before special testing even begins in the first week of June.
I know the patch isn't being pushed back to october  :P

That's just purely an extrapolation of the numbers ignoring any real world common sense. Middle of August is what I'd actually predict, kinda right around gamescom.

I don't know what you mean by "Final release was a timeframe shortly after the schedule report went live." Special testing and general testing are both delayed a week.

Original:

Current:

Raven

May 21, 2017, 12:02 AM Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 12:09 AM by Raven
I know the patch isn't being pushed back to october  :P

That's just purely an extrapolation of the numbers ignoring any real world common sense. Middle of August is what I'd actually predict, kinda right around gamescom.

I don't know what you mean by "Final release was a timeframe shortly after the schedule report went live." Special testing and general testing are both delayed a week.

Original:

Current:

Image is broken but I think I know why I'm not remembering the dates correctly. European dating throws me off. Which kinda rustles my jimmies because he starts this company in the US, the US is where he has lived for a long time now, and the guy that compiles the schedule lives in LA.... but they still do the dates the European way.

Regardless, I'm not concerned. June 30th was the original estimate and they're saying it could be as early as just one week after that. It really won't make any sense for them to make 3.0 their Gamescom demonstration because they did that at both Gamescom and CitizenCon last year. Showing off the kind of stuff that 3.0 will allow. This patch needs to get out before then and they need to be talking about Squadron 42. I'm pretty confident that they'll drop this patch in July and use August to focus on their Gamescom plans while everyone else keeps working to make sure 3.1 and 3.2 still get out this year. The longer 3.0 takes, the more they risk pushing those patches into next year. Which, at this point, would not be good for their image. This is the year they need to start showing results. Because January will be 5 years under development and the excuses will mean less and less without a number of substantial additions and feature completions.

Legend

Image is broken but I think I know why I'm not remembering the dates correctly. European dating throws me off. Which kinda rustles my jimmies because he starts this company in the US, the US is where he has lived for a long time now, and the guy that compiles the schedule lives in LA.... but they still do the dates the European way.

Regardless, I'm not concerned. June 30th was the original estimate and they're saying it could be as early as just one week after that. It really won't make any sense for them to make 3.0 their Gamescom demonstration because they did that at both Gamescom and CitizenCon last year. Showing off the kind of stuff that 3.0 will allow. This patch needs to get out before then and they need to be talking about Squadron 42. I'm pretty confident that they'll drop this patch in July and use August to focus on their Gamescom plans while everyone else keeps working to make sure 3.1 and 3.2 still get out this year. The longer 3.0 takes, the more they risk pushing those patches into next year. Which, at this point, would not be good for their image. This is the year they need to start showing results. Because January will be 5 years under development and the excuses will mean less and less without a number of substantial additions and feature completions.
It was to a webarchive of their scheduale. Guess hotlinks are a no go.

No way would 3.0 be THE gamescom demo. I was more thinking along the lines of how they showed Star Marine footage videos right around its release.

I think releasing S42 and having it be good would be the best for proving RSI's worth. Having a track record as studios would give way more confidence the end product will live up to expectations.

Raven

It was to a webarchive of their scheduale. Guess hotlinks are a no go.

No way would 3.0 be THE gamescom demo. I was more thinking along the lines of how they showed Star Marine footage videos right around its release.

I think releasing S42 and having it be good would be the best for proving RSI's worth. Having a track record as studios would give way more confidence the end product will live up to expectations.
I get what you're saying, I just don't think people will be happy about getting another demo or video of something 3.0 related when that's a lot of what we've been getting since Summer of last year. People want to see new stuff. They want to see real progress. I can just hear the barking right now if Gamescom comes and they go, "Hey guys! Check out this video of landing on a surface and walking around in an outpost!". People want to see battles now. They want to see real action. They want to see things we haven't been shown yet. Even if they make SQ42 THE big demo, you'll have a lot of questions as to why they spent any amount of time showing us largely the same thing they have been showing for 12 months now when there is obviously much more that needs to be seen. People are going to want something even more substantial than the CitizenCon demo last year. Which, itself, was fairly beefy. I just get the feeling we're at that very real tipping point where even adamant supporters of this game will start to turn if they don't see big progress.

Legend

I get what you're saying, I just don't think people will be happy about getting another demo or video of something 3.0 related when that's a lot of what we've been getting since Summer of last year. People want to see new stuff. They want to see real progress. I can just hear the barking right now if Gamescom comes and they go, "Hey guys! Check out this video of landing on a surface and walking around in an outpost!". People want to see battles now. They want to see real action. They want to see things we haven't been shown yet. Even if they make SQ42 THE big demo, you'll have a lot of questions as to why they spent any amount of time showing us largely the same thing they have been showing for 12 months now when there is obviously much more that needs to be seen. People are going to want something even more substantial than the CitizenCon demo last year. Which, itself, was fairly beefy. I just get the feeling we're at that very real tipping point where even adamant supporters of this game will start to turn if they don't see big progress.
I do agree that we're at a tipping point, but that doesn't mean Roberts can just throw together a super show that pleases everyone. Last year's Citizencon was when I had the mindshift and started thinking about how long the road ahead was, and that was even when I expected the 3.X series to happen somewhat on time.

Anything they show will be awesome, but nothing they show can change the fact that basic game features are still very far out. The tipping point imo is that people are starting to judge the game as it is today verse judging the promise of what it'll be down the line.

Raven

May 21, 2017, 03:21 AM Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 06:18 PM by Raven
I do agree that we're at a tipping point, but that doesn't mean Roberts can just throw together a super show that pleases everyone. Last year's Citizencon was when I had the mindshift and started thinking about how long the road ahead was, and that was even when I expected the 3.X series to happen somewhat on time.

Anything they show will be awesome, but nothing they show can change the fact that basic game features are still very far out. The tipping point imo is that people are starting to judge the game as it is today verse judging the promise of what it'll be down the line.

I'm not expecting a super show, I'm just expecting them to avoid showing us more of the same. I know a lot of people would rather see 30 minutes of SQ42 and some footage of upcoming features we haven't seen yet than anything else about 3.0 that they've been showing for a while now. There just seems to be this growing feeling of "we've waited long enough to see the real good stuff, time to deliver". They're not going to win anymore favor by showing yet another planetary landing when people want to see examples of the universe coming alive.

Between Gamescom and CitizenCon this year, they have to do what they did last year. Silence critics by showing something awesome that people didn't think they would pull off. Only in this case, it needs to be something people never doubted but have waited ages to see in real time. I think they're doing a good job so far of showing the progression of the game but I think they need to step it up in the second half of this year. Give us something REALLY chewy that is going to take a while to get through, because the steak they threw us last year is practically gone at this point.

What are YOU hoping to see?

Legend

What are YOU hoping to see?
I'm hoping to see a big Squadron 42 demo that rivals the AAA cinematic games already out there. I want to see something that doesn't look amazing because of what it represents, but looks amazing in isolation like you'd see at an E3 game announcement. Then end with a firm release date that's before December. Essentially this:

I also hope to see a Star Citizen demo that shows off their subsumption AI and large procedural cities. Fixed physics grids would be icing on the cake.

Not too unrealistic but I don't expect to get any of that. Instead I think S42 will skip gamescom and be the big thing for Citizencon. No clue what they could show off in the SC demo. Maybe it'll be focused around some of the super large ships or aliens. I'd enjoy both.

Raven

I'm hoping to see a big Squadron 42 demo that rivals the AAA cinematic games already out there. I want to see something that doesn't look amazing because of what it represents, but looks amazing in isolation like you'd see at an E3 game announcement. Then end with a firm release date that's before December. Essentially this:

I also hope to see a Star Citizen demo that shows off their subsumption AI and large procedural cities. Fixed physics grids would be icing on the cake.

Not too unrealistic but I don't expect to get any of that. Instead I think S42 will skip gamescom and be the big thing for Citizencon. No clue what they could show off in the SC demo. Maybe it'll be focused around some of the super large ships or aliens. I'd enjoy both.
So in other words you don't want a Squadron 42 trailer that makes you go, "Oh man, imagine how cool that will all look when..." , you want a trailer that looks like the representation of an awesome finished product.

Yeah, I'd like for them to show us even just a mock-up of their AI at work. Show us what it will be like to be interacting with a bunch of NPCs and how in-depth the system is aiming to be. I'd also like to see how they handle planetary landings and exploration with planets that have large cities. Thus far, the answers they've given about how planets like AcrCorp will be handled could be taken different ways. They've not been 100% clear on that from the times I've heard them talk about it. If you're going to show us something else 3.0, that would be the one thing I think people would be fine with because it's still a question that comes up.

But what would really get me hard is showing a big battle. Show us what it looks like when these warships you're so proud of start unleashing themselves. What does it look like when the Vanduul and Imperial Navy run into each other? Though I'd imagine that's probably something we'd catch a glimpse of in the SQ42 trailer. And yeah, I'm with you. A release date is needed at this point though I'd be fine if they just said "around this time". I'm honestly not expecting it until early next year.

Raven

Raven

Here is a list of things expected to have been completed for 3.0 this week. This list is based on the expected completion dates from the 3.0 schedule report. Some of these things may not end up actually being completed this week and may end up being postponed to a later date. Though until told otherwise, it is assumed these things met their target dates.

May 22nd
 - New Message Queue: Streamlining messages with less overhead along with features that will help with packet loss and jitters to help reduce bandwidth and latency

May 24th
- Operator Seats conversion to Item 2.0: This will allow the devs to create gameplay mechanics around the various seated stations on ships
- Field of View Slider: This will allow players to narrow or widen the field of view
- Starmap App: This will be a new Mobiglass app that will allow players to see the entire star system and allow them to plot a quantum travel course beyond the immediate vicinity

May 25th
- Pick Up & Carry: This will allow players to manually move items, including interacting with cargo to load and unload from their ship
- Kiosk UI: This will allow players to buy and sell commodities with various vendors
- Solar System Mission Service: A backend that determines what dynamic missions are available in the area and what the rewards are for them

May 26th
- Derelict Ships: Added for exploration and potential points of interest
- Debris Fields: Added to both enhance the feeling surrounding derelict ships and offer their own kind of exploration as well
- Persistent Damage, Ammo, and Missiles: This will save the state of your vehicle instead of refreshing it every new play session
- Volumetric Fog: More realistic fog/mist effects
- Engine Trails & Contrails: A graphical effect to add streams that come from the back of the ship's wingtips and/or engines
- Physics Serialization: Fixing some long standing threading issues by improving separation of physics and netcode
- Drake Cutlass Black: This rework will now be ready for use when 3.0 releases
- RSI Ursa Rover: This vehicle will now be ready for use when 3.0 releases

Raven

Here is an update on the schedule report list.

Here is a list of things expected to have been completed for 3.0 this week. This list is based on the expected completion dates from the 3.0 schedule report. Some of these things may not end up actually being completed this week and may end up being postponed to a later date. Though until told otherwise, it is assumed these things met their target dates.

May 22nd
 - New Message Queue: Streamlining messages with less overhead along with features that will help with packet loss and jitters to help reduce bandwidth and latency
   (Pushed back to May 31st as unexpected bugs have delayed completion)

May 24th
- Operator Seats conversion to Item 2.0: This will allow the devs to create gameplay mechanics around the various seated stations on ships
   (Complete)
- Field of View Slider: This will allow players to narrow or widen the field of view
   (Complete)
- Starmap App: This will be a new Mobiglass app that will allow players to see the entire star system and allow them to plot a quantum travel course beyond the immediate vicinity
  (Technically complete and functional but the team wants additional time to make it more visually appealing; update coming next week)

May 25th
- Pick Up & Carry: This will allow players to manually move items, including interacting with cargo to load and unload from their ship
   (Pushed back to June 12th to make gameplay improvements such as interacting with cargo in zeroG)
- Kiosk UI: This will allow players to buy and sell commodities with various vendors
  (Pushed back to June 7th after an unannounced delay to May 30th as certain tasks are taking longer than expected)
- Solar System Mission Service: A backend that determines what dynamic missions are available in the area and what the rewards are for them
  (The team wants to make further adjustments to improve mission flow; update coming next week)

May 26th
- Derelict Ships: Added for exploration and potential points of interest
   (Pushed back to June 9th to finish audio work)
- Debris Fields: Added to both enhance the feeling surrounding derelict ships and offer their own kind of exploration as well
   (No update)
- Persistent Damage, Ammo, and Missiles: This will save the state of your vehicle instead of refreshing it every new play session
   (Pushed back to June 2nd as a task is awaiting the Network Engineering Team)
- Volumetric Fog: More realistic fog/mist effects
  (No update)
- Engine Trails & Contrails: A graphical effect to add streams that come from the back of the ship's wingtips and/or engines
  (Pushed back to June 23rd as build issues and developer illness have severely impacted work)
- Physics Serialization: Fixing some long standing threading issues by improving separation of physics and netcode
  (Pushed back to June 2nd as the team is needed to fix bugs elsewhere)
- Drake Cutlass Black: This rework will now be ready for use when 3.0 releases
  (Pushed back to June 16th as additional artwork was needed and a software update caused additional downtime)
- RSI Ursa Rover: This vehicle will now be ready for use when 3.0 releases
  (Pushed back to June 2nd as code support is needed)

Go Up