Star Citizen

Viewing single post

Started by Raven, Jan 23, 2017, 05:40 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

The only thing I know about stamina for sure is that if you exhaust it, it will slow you down, cause you to drain oxygen faster, and make your aiming difficult. Beyond that, I have no clue.

The Rover certainly isn't a single seat vehicle so you would indeed have a physics grid within a physics grid. Even if it became a static model once you left it, the moment you interact with it it becomes its own model again within the ship. I never said it was all the same. I said it's pretty close. We will have a working example of ships docking, even if it is a small one-seater with a larger ship, and a vehicle that is much more than a single seater being loaded, transported, and then unloaded within other ships. We already know that we're going to be landing on things like frigates, destroyers, and carriers with an assortment of various ships in the not so distant future. I'm just wondering how much more complex it is than what they're already aiming to accomplish with 3.0. I wonder how exactly the larger ships will work when docking with stations. Will that be easy simply because the stations themselves are largely static? Last I heard, the larger ships won't use landing pads but docking points instead.

Yeah, parachutes don't make any sense to me in a science fiction setting where I have suit thrusters. Can I really not use them to at least slow my descent to a non-lethal speed?
Are the rover and dragonfly still on for 3.0? They rest inside the ships instead of attaching so it'd be a different physics problem.

It's hard though without knowing the intricacies of their engine. From the outside it honestly looks trivial. Their system might not be able to support nested physics grids, but it definitely should be possible to transfer all players over to the larger ship's grid and let local physics handle the minor movements. If they can have you ride an elevator in a ship, the same setup should work for walking on a larger moving object AKA a docked ship.

Obviously it isn't this easy with their setup but I have no idea why it wouldn't be this easy. They must have some hard limit with a component that isn't feasible to expand at the moment. A single seater sticking into it's slot avoids a lot of components: no physics grids, no non scripted movement, only a defined ship fits, game already supports the docked version, and the fighter doesn't necessarily need to be parented to the main ship. Including that doesn't necessarily solve any problems that exist with docking full ships.