General Discussion Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 16, 2014, 06:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Dr. Pezus

YAY!
For the most part. Still having some issues but less

Dr. Pezus

Iceland male circumcision ban: 'Growing anger from religious communities' | ResetEra

Religious leaders have reacted with outrage to a bill proposed by MPs in Iceland that would criminalise male circumcision. The bill proposes a six-year prison term for anyone found guilty of "removing sexual organs in whole or in part". Salmann Tamimi, president of the Muslim Association of Iceland, described the proposal as an "attack on religion".Click to expand...
Circumcising girls has been illegal in Iceland since 2005, but there are currently no laws to regulate the practice against boys. Describing circumcision as a "violation" of young boys' rights, the bill states the only time it should be considered is for "health reasons". Young men would be given the opportunity to decide for themselves once they reached the age of consent.Click to expand...
Male circumcision is one of the most common surgical procedures in the world, with one recent study estimating that around 38 per cent of men globally have undergone the procedure. According to the same study, around half of circumcisions are carried out for religious or cultural reasons. While the importance of male circumcision in Islam is disputed - some Muslim groups say it is obligatory, others only recommend it - it remains a major and celebrated rite wherever Islam is practised. For Jews, circumcision carries profound religious significance and most baby boys born into Jewish families are circumcised within a week of birth.Click to expand...
Progressive Party MP Silja Dögg Gunnarsdóttir is the driving force behind the legislation. "I didn't think it was necessary to consult," she told The Independent. "I don't see it as a religious matter." "Jews are welcome in Iceland. But this is about child protection and children's rights. That comes first, and before the religious rights of the adult. "Every individual, it doesn't matter what naughtiness or how old… should be able to give informed consent for a procedure that is unnecessary, irreversible and can be harmful. His body, his choice."Click to expand...
She said she was surprised when she learned that male circumcision was still legal, despite the ban on circumcising girls. "The body parts are different, the procedures are different, but in both cases they can be lethal and harmful to the child," she said.Guidance issued in 2013 by the Nordic Ombudsmen for Children and paediatric experts concluded that "there are no health-related grounds to circumcise young boys in the Nordic countries". According to the paper, the procedure "violates fundamental medical-ethical principles, not least because the procedure is irreversible, painful and may cause serious complications".Click to expand...
The legislation has been debated once in the Icelandic parliament and will go through several stages of discussion and consultation before it could become law. "This is a complicated and difficult matter," said Ms Gunnarsdóttir. "This is a healthy, democratic way to come to a conclusion."Click to expand...
More @ http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...eaders-outrage-mp-bill-proposed-a8217696.html Hopefully, Iceland doesn't back down. It may be "religious culture", but I'm sure your God doesn't require you to cut your babies genitals with a knife to get into the afterlife or put a smile on your God's face. One and done with this
Progressive Party MP Silja Dögg Gunnarsdóttir is the driving force behind the legislation. "I didn't think it was necessary to consult," she told The Independent. "I don't see it as a religious matter." "Jews are welcome in Iceland. But this is about child protection and children's rights. That comes first, and before the religious rights of the adult. "Every individual, it doesn't matter what naughtiness or how old… should be able to give informed consent for a procedure that is unnecessary, irreversible and can be harmful. His body, his choice."Click to expand...
What have I found here

the-pi-guy

Circumcision is a weird thing for me .

Xevross

Circumcision is a weird thing for me .
Why?

Iceland male circumcision ban: 'Growing anger from religious communities' | ResetEra

More @ http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...eaders-outrage-mp-bill-proposed-a8217696.html Hopefully, Iceland doesn't back down. It may be "religious culture", but I'm sure your God doesn't require you to cut your babies genitals with a knife to get into the afterlife or put a smile on your God's face. One and done with this      

What have I found here
Circumcision is bad for most people, it should be up to the individuals. fudge religions that force it. I hope Iceland go through with this.

the-pi-guy

Why?
On the one hand, it's pretty terrible to think about.
On the other hand, I'm circumcized and I couldn't care less that it happened.  

Xevross

On the one hand, it's pretty terrible to think about.
On the other hand, I'm circumcized and I couldn't care less that it happened.  
Was it for religious or medical reasons?

Dr. Pezus

In the US it seems like they do it for no reason at all but tradition or something

And yes, doctors in Iceland are about to release their statement (of which I am one)

the-pi-guy

In the US, circumcision is basically the norm. A lot of people that are not religious get it done.

Neonatal circumcision has been the most common surgery in America for over a century. Nearly six out of ten newborns are released from hospitals foreskin-free. The practice is so widespread, in fact, that one study of 90 active American medical textbooks and models found that less than a third featured a lollipop with foreskin intact

Most Americans assume the practice is medically useful, like a vaccination.

Why is circumcision so popular in the US? -- Quartz

nnodley

I have started to see a rise of my generation choosing not to circumcise there kids.   At least based on those in where I live

Dr. Pezus

I have started to see a rise of my generation choosing not to circumcise there kids.   At least based on those in where I live
Thats what I've heard as well

Dr. Pezus

the-pi-guy

Xevross

I had no idea America was like that. I feel like everyday I discover something new that America has a backwards attitude towards ;)

Dr. Pezus

I'm guessing you signed it?  :o
Yup. You can check the list ;)

the-pi-guy

Yup. You can check the list ;)
Wow, you're really far up on the list.  

You must be important or something.  :o

Go Up