Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

Jul 07, 2018, 09:14 AM Last Edit: Jul 07, 2018, 09:17 AM by Xevross
Ahead of the first. It's previews were actually pretty good. Estimates are 88 million for the weekend.
Yeah, this. Better previews than Doctor Strange and GOTG which opened at 85 and 94M. So 90M opening is possible, which would be fantastic. Early Friday numbers are saying $34M Friday though, which would be okay. More like a low 80s OW.

Looking forward to see overseas performance, as that's where most of the money will come from.

Xevross

Early deadline numbers point towards a super weekend for Incredibles 2 as well, jumping JW into 2nd place. $600M still on the cards. That would be cray. Before December 2017 there were only 5 movies ever to have reached 600M, and Disney might have released another 4 in half a year.

Also JW cracked 1 bill WW.

nnodley

Evangeline Lilly is like the #1 reason to watch Ant-Man! 8) 

Xevross

Jul 08, 2018, 03:45 PM Last Edit: Jul 08, 2018, 03:49 PM by Xevross
Seems like the internal multiplier for all films is very low this weekend (that's ratio of full weekend to friday's number). Apparently it was the same in 2012 when July 4th was last on Wednesday. Weird. Anyway, it means Ant-Man is heading for $76M instead, which is okay but awful off of $11.5M previews. Gonna be quite a low grosser in the MCU and coming off of IW that is a very small boost over the first film. Was hoping for much better.

Incredibles 2 will claim second ahead of JW but is only looking at a $29M weekend now. That still puts it passed Dory into the #1 all time animation slot, and now it stands over $500M. $600M will be a challenge to reach, but its already a fantastic performance.

Not really good for any film, but I guess Wednesday stole a bit of the gross.

Xevross

Movie Showdown

Really does make Ant-Man look small. Its just nowhere near as popular as the other MCU films. You can see why though, its just not that interesting.

the-pi-guy

Movie Showdown

Really does make Ant-Man look small. Its just nowhere near as popular as the other MCU films. You can see why though, its just not that interesting.
Well ant man is the smallest . He's an ant and most of the others are people sized.

Xevross

Well ant man is the smallest . He's an ant and most of the others are people sized.
But he can also grow absolutely massive! I guess his growing powers don't work on the box office ...

Legend

Guess my anecdotal experience was accurate!  :P

Xevross

Guess my anecdotal experience was accurate!  :P
Well your evidence was an empty opening day, but it was Saturday that was the real problem. Opening day was fine. ;)

the-pi-guy

Xevross

Really bad Monday for ant-man, it's box office keeps getting more disappointing. It's such a B tier franchise  :(

Was a poor Monday for JW too, okay for I2

Legend

Really bad Monday for ant-man, it's box office keeps getting more disappointing. It's such a B tier franchise  :(

Was a poor Monday for JW too, okay for I2
Ant Man is A tier!

One of the few modern Marvel franchises that's pretty good.

the-pi-guy

I liked Ant Man. 
I will need to watch the second one at some point. 

Xevross

Ant Man is A tier!

One of the few modern Marvel franchises that's pretty good.
Lol I'm sorry what? It's the most insignificant and is on the lower end of quality, the first one was at least.

Legend

Lol I'm sorry what? It's the most insignificant and is on the lower end of quality, the first one was at least.
I know it doesn't make the big bucks, but quality wise its up with gotg. Not low teir stuff like thor.

Go Up