Learning a language? Come share your progress here!

Started by Legend, Dec 20, 2016, 06:31 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Been using Anki to go through tons of vocab.  
Been spending around 2 hours a day it says.  

Legend

Been using Anki to go through tons of vocab.  
Been spending around 2 hours a day it says.  
Have you checked out Duolingo's Japanese course yet?

the-pi-guy

Aug 02, 2017, 06:09 PM Last Edit: Aug 02, 2017, 06:13 PM by the-pi-guy
Have you checked out Duolingo's Japanese course yet?
I used it a bit a while ago.  It doesn't have a huge amount. 
It's pretty good for an intro, but it doesn't have much beyond that. 

I have been reading a lot about resources. 
The Japanese N5 test is basically covered by Duolingo.  Roughly the same level as using Genki I (I think a little less in Kanji).  I'm towards the end of Genki I. 

Then Genki II basically covers the N4 test.  I already have this book. 

the-pi-guy

Apparently Korean is coming to Duolingo.  
I don't know if anyone is interested...  

Legend

Apparently Korean is coming to Duolingo.  
I don't know if anyone is interested...  
Would be fun/easy to learn. The writing system was constructed to be simple.

the-pi-guy

Would be fun/easy to learn. The writing system was constructed to be simple.
Easyish.  Still supposed to be one of the most time consuming language for English speakers to learn.
Learning Japanese is making me interested to learn other stuff. 

But progress is slow right now.  :(

the-pi-guy

Been slacking a lot.  Haven't even looked at anything the past few days at all.  :(
Very far away from making my goals.  Didn't even do half. :(

VGPolyglot

Been slacking a lot.  Haven't even looked at anything the past few days at all.  :(
Very far away from making my goals.  Didn't even do half. :(
Hey, just remember, if you ever want to practise just hit me up with a PM on Discord =) I almost never check this site out though, so I probably won't know if you attempt to contact me here.

Legend

I'm wanting to learn my conlang. It would be fun to become fluent in a language that no one speaks.

the-pi-guy

Cool chart that shows how a lot of the kana developed form Kanji.  

Legend

Chile to be the first American country to ban plastic bags in coastal cities : worldnews

I didn't know this but "America" in English and "America" in Spanish are not 1 to 1 translations. In Spanish North and South America are a single continent and all parts are considered american. When referring to US things, they don't use american.

Lots of people seem to have issues with this and project their understanding into the other language  :P

the-pi-guy

Chile to be the first American country to ban plastic bags in coastal cities : worldnews

I didn't know this but "America" in English and "America" in Spanish are not 1 to 1 translations. In Spanish North and South America are a single continent and all parts are considered american. When referring to US things, they don't use american.

Lots of people seem to have issues with this and project their understanding into the other language  :P
Continent - Wikipedia

Some countries combine Asia and Europe.  

the-pi-guy

So I've been spending about an hour the past few days, studying Japanese.  I actually feel like I'm making more tangible progress than I did over the summer.  I had to relearn some things, but I feel like I've learned more over the past 3 days (despite the fact that I only spent about 3 hours on it), than I did over the summer....  

Weird.  

the-pi-guy

Not really related to language learning.  

Some people have weird ideas of language learning.  Like on this other site, there's a bunch of people asking questions like "can bilinguals think in their weaker language?".

Just thought it was super weird that people ask these kinds of questions.

the-pi-guy

This is probably going to be a disaster.  

But I'm gonna try browsing VizionEck in Japanese on my phone.  At least till I get sick of it.  :P I am hoping it'll give me opportunity to practice and expand my vocabulary.

Go Up