BFR design update and tourist trip around the Moon: full mission reveal on Monday

Started by Legend, Sep 14, 2018, 01:20 AM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

Legend

Legend

Sep 14, 2018, 02:01 AM Last Edit: Sep 14, 2018, 05:28 AM by Legend
It looks like the lower delta wings could rotate!?!? I don't know why they'd want to do that though.

All engines look the same. Guess it's all vacuum engines now.

Landing legs are at the ends of the delta wings. Will look like a 1950's rocket landing!

Some sort of shielding around the engines. Not sure what that'd be for.

Original window is back!!!

Something near the nose of the ship. I was thinking solar panel deployment but it's hard to see in the small picture. Maybe another wing, maybe rcs.

Giant cargo door. Probably for docking too.

EDT: now has 7-8 floors instead of 5. Stretching confirmed.

EDT 2: I worry about how "complicated" this version is compared to the previous design, but if the wings are actively moved during flight as a control surface then this could actually be a really elegant solution.

BananaKing

Just out of curiosity, how much would this cost. They say "ordinary people" but they surely mean rich people lol

Legend

Just out of curiosity, how much would this cost. They say "ordinary people" but they surely mean rich people lol
This mission would be $100+ million today.

Their goal is to get it down to ~$200,000 to travel to Mars and ~$3,000 to go to space for a half hour.

BananaKing

This mission would be $100+ million today.

Their goal is to get it down to ~$200,000 to travel to Mars and ~$3,000 to go to space for a half hour.
id actually do the 3000$ one without thinking twice.

Legend

Me too (well I'd wait just to make sure it's safe).

It'll also be really awesome when/if they become like space cruises. I'd really love to spend a couple days in space and really have time to experience it.

nnodley

Oh hell yeah, me too!  I would probably even try saving up for a trip to mars as well.

Dr. Pezus

I'd do the Mars one

Legend

Dr. Pezus

Sep 14, 2018, 06:01 PM Last Edit: Sep 14, 2018, 06:03 PM by Dr. Pezus
Mr. Moneybags over here
Haha not now but later

I just got a whole lot richer by stealing from you

Legend

Eric Berger: sources suggest SpaceX targeting 2024 or earlier for lunar tourist flight : spacex

2024 Moon landing. 50 tons to surface and 30 tons back to Earth. So presumably this flyby mission would be a couple years before that.

Also I'm wondering if this pushes back their Mars plans or if both missions would be somewhat simultaneous.

DD_Bwest

hmm i thought they werent to interested in the moon cayse they thought it would get in the way/take up resources that could be better spent on mars.  

i like the moon tho lol i want mankind to put people back on it.  we never should have left.

Legend

hmm i thought they werent to interested in the moon cayse they thought it would get in the way/take up resources that could be better spent on mars.  

i like the moon tho lol i want mankind to put people back on it.  we never should have left.
Yeah I only want them to land on the Moon if someone else is paying for it.

Moon bases should be a thing but lots of companies are working on Moon stuff. It'll happen even if SpaceX only acts like a rocket company.

But no one except SpaceX is working on Mars. They're our only hope for the next decade.

Legend

24 hours!!!

Legend

Go Up