Sony Pictures TV Networks To Acquire Majority Stake (95%) in Funimation

Started by the-pi-guy, Aug 01, 2017, 01:26 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Sony Pictures TV Networks To Acquire Majority Stake (95%) in Funimation - NeoGAF

http://deadline.com/2017/07/sony-pic...me-1202139652/
Sony Pictures Television Networks is increasing its footprint in the anime space, with a deal to pay $143 million for 95% of Japanese anime distributor Funimation Productions. Its catalog includes such popular titles as Dragon Ball Z, Cowboy Bebop, One Piece, My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan.
 The agreement that values the company at about $150 million is subject to regulatory approvals and other closing conditions. Funimation CEO Gen Fukunaga will retain a minority stake in the business and remain in his post.
 Funimation licenses and distributes Japanese anime content in the U.S., and operates the subscription streaming service FunimationNow. The company also sells merchandise and DVDs through its website.
 “Around the world, Sony’s networks have been major players in the anime space for nearly two decades, and in more recent years we have rapidly increased our networks’ over-the-top and digital offerings to consumers. With the acquisition of Funimation, the combined IP of Animax, Kids Station and Funimation allows us to deliver the best anime to fans across all screens and platforms,” said Andy Kaplan, President of Worldwide Networks at Sony Pictures Television.
 Added Fukunaga: “With Funimation’s long-established leadership position in anime and Sony’s direct access to the creative pipeline in Japan, it will be a great partnership to take Funimation to the next level.”

darkknightkryta

No... no...
Sony owns Aniplex.  Aniplex charges $10 an episode.  Funimation is pretty much the only licensor that has cheap anime.  Funimation also isn't worth 150 million. They literally only profit like 5 million a year with very little revenue.

Kerotan

So funimation don't own those IPs they just own the rights to license them?

the-pi-guy

No... no...
Sony owns Aniplex.  Aniplex charges $10 an episode.  Funimation is pretty much the only licensor that has cheap anime.  Funimation also isn't worth 150 million. They literally only profit like 5 million a year with very little revenue.
Sony Music owns Aniplex.  
Sony Pictures and Sony Music are run by different people. There is basically no connection.  

Sony and Funimation already had a partnership before this.  

darkknightkryta

Sony Music owns Aniplex.  
Sony Pictures and Sony Music are run by different people. There is basically no connection.  

Sony and Funimation already had a partnership before this.  
I didn't realize it was Sony Music that owns Aniplex.  Though Japanese pricing of anime stands.  

BasilZero

I wonder if this will affect Crunchyroll in any way.

darkknightkryta

I wonder if this will affect Crunchyroll in any way.
Doubt it, Aniplex titles are on Crunchyroll.  As Pi pointed out, they may be separate entities in Sony, but it shouldn't matter.

BasilZero

Doubt it, Aniplex titles are on Crunchyroll.  As Pi pointed out, they may be separate entities in Sony, but it shouldn't matter.
If thats the case, Funimation owned licensing rights to Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball Z kai and Dragon Ball GT - which means there's a chance that because of this purchase that it could end up in Crunchyroll!!!!!!!!

Since Dragon Ball Super is the only one on CR.

Legend

Whats a funimation?

BasilZero

darkknightkryta

If thats the case, Funimation owned licensing rights to Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball Z kai and Dragon Ball GT - which means there's a chance that because of this purchase that it could end up in Crunchyroll!!!!!!!!

Since Dragon Ball Super is the only one on CR.
Doubt it.  Funimation titles are on Crunchyroll, they made a deal.  DBZ "was" on Daisuki via Toei, even using the level sets for the first 5 episodes (I think Toei might have actually gotten those cancelled), so Toei has the final say and I'm sure they say no.