Elite: Dangerous OT: job simulator 3304 AD

Started by Legend, Oct 15, 2015, 01:05 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

nnodley

Do you own it at all?
I have it yeah.  I bought it a year or so ago on a steam summer sale for like $15 or something I think.  Not sure if all the updates that have come out I get for free or if I have to pay for some of them?

Once I heard how much of a time sink it is to just learn everything in the beginning it turned me off.  If I can find a stretch of time where I have nothing to really play I'll start it up.

Legend

I have it yeah.  I bought it a year or so ago on a steam summer sale for like $15 or something I think.  Not sure if all the updates that have come out I get for free or if I have to pay for some of them?

Once I heard how much of a time sink it is to just learn everything in the beginning it turned me off.
The base game gives you all of the 1.0 updates but doesn't give you the 2.0 updates. 2.0, 2.1, and 2.2 have released so far while 2.3 releases in a month. 2.4 is the last of the 2.0 updates and releases this summer. Horizon/2.0-2.4 is discounted regularly to $20 so wait for a sale if you're interested.

Update 1.7 added new tutorial missions that are much more user friendly, but it's still a learning curve to get good at anything.

If I can find a stretch of time where I have nothing to really play I'll start it up.
I like that plan! My first 50 hours in the game were pure magic. Nowadays I go months without playing the game but it's really fun to pop back into every now and again.

Legend

Legend

Seems like space legs aren't even in development.

That goes against what other devs have said and what so many things have pointed towards, but I doubt he'd lie like this just to make it a surprise when they reveal otherwise.

So season 3 will probably be atmospheric planets, or maybe just nothing. Might be done with large updates to the game. This quote knocks out so much hype I had for the game's future.

Legend

Legend

Haha two ships got stuck in the mailslot, so the space cops murdered them for loitering.
Danowat32's Xbox clips on XboxDVR.com

Legend

New ship from the update. I feel like I should buy it...

Legend

New camera is so wonderful.

Not only can you get amazing shots like this, but you can still control your ship!

It's so incredible seeing your ship fly from 3rd person. The amount of quality is incredible. Little thrusters all over the ship act accordingly to keep you up. Just hovering above the ground looks cool. I bought the Dolphin and it's crazy how fast and agile the ship is. I'm used to my very ugly and bulky cargo ship.

Legend

Frontier Announces Partner for Physical Elite Dangerous Console Release - MMOGames.com

Elite and Planet Coaster are getting physical releases. Elite already had a limited physical release for the PC launch.

Legend

Update 2.3.01

Farmed salt from the community for usage later.
They've gone insane!

Legend

Legend

SWORDF1SH

So I've just bought it. Any tips for the noob?

Legend

So I've just bought it. Any tips for the noob?
#1. Don't fly without a rebuy. Ships can cost a lot of money and it costs a fraction of that to rebuy the ship if it's destroyed. If you don't have enough money to buy the replacement, you're forced to go back to the free starter ship.

2. Don't speed. Stations have speed limits (should recieve a notification if you're going too fast). If you hit someone while speeding, you're at fault and will recieve a fine.

3. When flying towards a target, the blue area on your speed meter is the safe zone. You can turn fastest in this zone, but you will also not overshoot targets. I tend to go at max speed and then 8s from the target drop to the blue zone.

4. Do not look online to see all the smaller features. The game is at its best when you're just discovering the galaxy. I've played for ~200 hours and there are lots of things that I haven't seen first hand. Also don't use online tools to make money. They are nice for end game users, but as a noob they remove the magic.

5. Be whatever you want. Combat in the game is great but I prefer just exploring at a slow pace. Fighting, mining, trading, cruise ship, bounty hunter, etc. are all valid. There are groups for role playing too. The "fuel rats" will deliver fuel for free to any player that runs out. Cannon research are all about testing alien stuff out and have discovered most alien things in the game. Elite racers have races throughout the galaxy on different courses to see who's fastest. The explorers go off on expeditions all the time to map out the galaxy or reach landmarks. Recently they went on a one way trip to the farthest edge of the galaxy. The game is good on its own, but it's amazing if you make your own fun.

6. Everything takes time. There are 400 billion star systems and it can take months of real world time to get places. Humans only live in a small bubble of the galaxy but as a new player even that will feel huge. Money takes time, becoming allies takes time, powerplay takes time, engineering takes time, etc. On top of this, most mission timers keep counting down if you're not logged in. Playing for short bursts is fine but don't try to rush these longer things. You'll just burn yourself out.

7. Pledge support to Aisling Duval! No gameplay reason but: https://sorasabi.carbonmade.com/blog/6168812474423312397

DId you get Horizons too?

Go Up