Harassment in the Industry - (Harvey Weinstein, MeToo, Naughty Dog, etc.)

Started by the-pi-guy, Oct 17, 2017, 06:48 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Harvey Weinstein
In October of 2017, it was reported that Harvey Weinstein had sexually harassed, assaulted or raped more than a dozen women and many more are still coming forward.  Many assistants knew about it. link

Women who said they had been sexually harassed or assaulted by Weinstein include:
This list ripped from Wikipedia are all the women who have come forward, includes big names like Angelina Jolie, Ashley Judd and others.
Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>Lysette Anthony, actress[16]<br>Asia Argento, actress and director[12]<br>Rosanna Arquette, actress[12]<br>Jessica Barth, actress[12]<br>Kate Beckinsale, actress[17]<br>Zoë Brock, model[18]<br>Liza Campbell, writer and artist[19]<br>Emma de Caunes, actress[12]<br>Florence Darel, actress[20]<br>Cara Delevingne, actress and model[21]<br>Sophie Dix, actress[22]<br>Dawn Dunning, actress[23]<br>Lina Esco, actress and director[24]<br>Alice Evans, actress[25]<br>Lucia Evans, formerly Lucia Stoller, actress[12]<br>Angie Everhart, model and actress[26]<br>Claire Forlani, actress[27]<br>Romola Garai, actress[28]<br>Louisette Geiss, screenwriter and actress[19]<br>Louise Godbold, nonprofit organization director[19]<br>Judith Godrèche, actress[23]<br>Trish Goff, former model, actress, and real estate broker[29]<br>Heather Graham, actress[30]<br>Eva Green, actress[31]<br>Ambra Gutierrez, formerly Ambra Battilana, model[11]<br>Lena Headey, actress[32]<br>Lauren Holly, actress[33]<br>Jessica Hynes, actress[34]<br>Angelina Jolie, actress and director[23]<br>Ashley Judd, actress[11]<br>Minka Kelly, actress[35]<br>Katherine Kendall, actress[23]<br>Mia Kirshner, actress[36]<br>Myleene Klass, singer and model[11]<br>Laura Madden, Weinstein employee[19]<br>Sarah Ann Masse, actress, comedian, and writer[19]<br>Rose McGowan, actress[11]<br>Natalie Mendoza, actress[37]<br>Emily Nestor, Weinstein employee[19]<br>Jennifer Siebel Newsom, documentary filmmaker and actress[38]<br>Gwyneth Paltrow, actress[23]<br>Zelda Perkins, Weinstein employee[19]<br>Sarah Polley, actress, writer, and director[39]<br>Tomi-Ann Roberts, professor of psychology[23]<br>Lisa Rose, Miramax employee[40]<br>Erika Rosenbaum, actress[41]<br>Melissa Sagemiller, actress[42]<br>Léa Seydoux, actress[43]<br>Lauren Sivan, journalist[44]<br>Chelsea Skidmore, actress and comedian[45]<br>Mira Sorvino, actress[12]<br>Tara Subkoff, actress[11]<br>Paula Wachowiak, Weinstein employee[46]<br>

The first story I heard about was this one by Angie Everhart

The actress and swimsuit model told TMZ that while on a yacht with Weinstein, the producer broke into her room and blocked the door as he masturbated in front of her: "I was on a friend's boat. Harvey walked in, walked in front of me, took his pants down, did his thing, exited on the floor, if you know what I mean, pulled his pants back up, said 'You're a really nice girl. Don't tell anybody about this,' and left." What's more, Everhart added, she told the people around her about the incident--and they did nothing in response: "I told people on the boat. I told people at the dinner I was at. Everybody was like, 'Oh, that's just Harvey.'"
link

#MeToo

#MeToo Floods Social Media With Stories of Harassment and Assault - The New York Times
This message has been flooding social media.  I even know a few people who shared it, and I know of others who didn't share it, who could have.  

Naughty Dog
In late 2015, I was sexually harassed at Naughty Dog by a lead. My work environment became extremely toxic afterward. 1/

In February 2016 I had a mental breakdown at work & Sony Playstation HR became involved. When I told them about the harassment they... 2/

...ended the call and fired me the next day. They cited the company was moving in a different direction and my job was no longer needed. 3/

They tried to silence me by offering $20,000 if I signed a letter agreeing to the termination as well as to not discuss it with anyone. 4/

I declined to sign. I have been unemployed for 17 months since. When interviewers ask why I left Naughty Dog, I say I was burned out... 5/

...by the crunch, ashamed to get to the root of the problem of being sexually harassed. 6/

I'm speaking out now because of the strength I've seen in others coming forward about their experiences in the TV/Film industry. 7/

This is the hardest thing I've ever done. I will not let anyone kill my drive or love for the video game industry, my passions or life. /END

link

Naughty Dog's Response:

We have recently read on social media that an ex-employee of Naughty Dog, Dave Ballard, claims he was sexually harassed when he worked at Naughty Dog. We have not found any evidence of having received allegations from Mr. Ballard that he was harassed in any way at Naughty Dog or Sony Interactive Entertainment. Harassment and inappropriate conduct have no place at Naughty Dog and Sony Interactive Entertainment. We have taken and always will take reports of sexual harassment and other workplace grievances very seriously. We value every single person who works at Naughty Dog and Sony interactive Entertainment. It is of utmost importance to us that we maintain a safe, productive workplace environment that allows us all to channel our shared passion for making games.
link

Figured to give a tiny overview of what's going on.  This covers a small portion of what I've heard.  

Mmm_fish_tacos

I never heard of this harvey guy. But on the ND thing it seems like he might not be yelling the truth, and co workers said that he was having a mental break down towards the end. The discison to let him go was probably based on that. And the money was 20k offered was propbably a serverance. which is common at big companys.

the-pi-guy

I never heard of this harvey guy.
He was a producer on a huge amount of movies.  
The original Lord of the Rings, First few Scary Movie's, Kill Bill, Good Will Hunting, many many others, he was executive producer for all of them.

But on the ND thing it seems like he might not be yelling the truth, and co workers said that he was having a mental break down towards the end. The discison to let him go was probably based on that. And the money was 20k offered was propbably a serverance. which is common at big companys.
Well he said he was having a mental break also.  

I'm sure there's some truth to the story, but I don't think it's fair to blame the company before more info comes out.