Video Game Sales Thread

Started by Xevross, Aug 14, 2014, 02:56 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Dr. Pezus

Grand Theft Auto V sell in totals 95 million | ResetEra

As per the title. Take Two mentioned it on the conference call. This is up from 90 million at the start of the year. One driver was GTA Online which continues to do well
The largest contributors to Net Bookings were Grand Theft Auto Online and Grand Theft Auto V, NBA2K18 and NBA 2K17, WWE 2K18 and WWE SuperCard, Dragon City and Monster Legends, and Sid Meier's Civilization VI. "During the fourth quarter, Take-Two delivered Net Bookings growth driven by increased recurrent consumer spending - including better-than-expected results from Grand Theft Auto Online," said Strauss Zelnick, Chairman and CEO of Take-Two.Click to expand...
One driver was the launch of a new GTA V SKU
Released Grand Theft Auto V: Premium Online Edition for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC. The Premium Online Edition includes the complete Grand Theft Auto V story experience, the ever-evolving world of Grand Theft Auto Online, and all existing gameplay upgrades and content. Purchasers also receive the Criminal Enterprise Starter Pack that gives players access to a huge range of content including properties, vehicles, weapons and more valued at over GTA$10,000,000 plus GTA$1,000,000 Bonus Cash.Click to expand...
http://ir.take2games.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=86428&p=irol-newsarticle&ID=2349458  

BananaKing

dang this game just keeps on impressing. It won't stop. 100 million is for sure now.

Most games would dream of selling as much as GTA5 does in a quarter after 5 years of being released.

Xevross

Jesus, it seems to sell millions solidly every quarter. 100m possibly even before Red Dead.

the-pi-guy

It's starting to get to the point that I almost feel like it's lame that it sells that much.  

Kerotan

May 17, 2018, 04:03 AM Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 04:12 AM by Kerotan
4th week gow
UK 19,000 / 204,000
Japan 6.473 / 98.579

While the UK is obviously more important Japan is very much relevant. I read it did over 100k in China. Asian sales overall all must be very impressive. Sony reaping the rewards for their Asian efforts.

dang this game just keeps on impressing. It won't stop. 100 million is for sure now.

Most games would dream of selling as much as GTA5 does in a quarter after 5 years of being released.
More like 120m for sure now and that's super Conservative.

What you guys think the platform breakdown is? My guess.

Ps3: 25m
360: 18m
Pc: 10m
Ps4: 28m
Xb1: 12m

I can honestly see the ps4 version going on and selling 40m.

Legend

It's starting to get to the point that I almost feel like it's lame that it sells that much.  
At this point a lot of those copies need to be repeat buyers. I saw a random comment saying something about people buying extra copies since it was cheaper than buying sharkcards directly and something like that is about the only thing that could make sense. GTAV isn't growing the size of the industry anymore so how could it be selling this much. It's not on mobile and I don't think the majority of those sales are on PC.

Kerotan

At this point a lot of those copies need to be repeat buyers. I saw a random comment saying something about people buying extra copies since it was cheaper than buying sharkcards directly and something like that is about the only thing that could make sense. GTAV isn't growing the size of the industry anymore so how could it be selling this much. It's not on mobile and I don't think the majority of those sales are on PC.
There are new 12 year olds every day who are allowed buy it. Another factor is people's discs break over the years and they'd be buying another disc or even switching to digital.

Xevross

People buy GTA with their current gen consoles. Its as easy as that. Even if they had it on last gen. GTA V sales very closely follow PS4/ XB1 hardware sales.

Eh there's no way that's causing any significant sales. GTAV isn't growing the industry, its just a requirement for about 1/3 of people to pick up with their new PS4/ XB1. Its been the same for years.

Legend

People buy GTA with their current gen consoles. Its as easy as that. Even if they had it on last gen. GTA V sales very closely follow PS4/ XB1 hardware sales.
Eh there's no way that's causing any significant sales. GTAV isn't growing the industry, its just a requirement for about 1/3 of people to pick up with their new PS4/ XB1. Its been the same for years.
I don't think it's even possible to transfer shark cards so I wouldn't bet on that explanation being right, but it seems near impossible for any video game to sell this much without smartphones and without being PC focused.

A constant 1/3 attach ratio seems impossible. That should be decreasing as more games release on PS4/XB1.

Dr. Pezus

I don't think it's even possible to transfer shark cards so I wouldn't bet on that explanation being right, but it seems near impossible for any video game to sell this much without smartphones and without being PC focused.

A constant 1/3 attach ratio seems impossible. That should be decreasing as more games release on PS4/XB1.
Why impossible? It's gta

Legend

Why impossible? It's gta
It'd mean that GTA would have to be increasing in popularity year on year.

Dr. Pezus

It'd mean that GTA would have to be increasing in popularity year on year.
How so?

Legend

How so?
As PS4 gets more and more system sellers and just an overall stronger library, more and more people will be buying the system for those games instead of GTAV.

Dr. Pezus

As PS4 gets more and more system sellers and just an overall stronger library, more and more people will be buying the system for those games instead of GTAV.

Well not if gta is always as popular

Xevross

Zhuge did analysis of it around a year ago, and it won't have changed much now. No matter what, GTAV sales very closely match PS4/ Xb1 sales month on month. And GTAV software sells around 1/3 of those HW most months. PS4 is getting a bigger library, so people are picking up more games when they first get PS4s, but roughly the same proportion of people (around 1/3) are still picking up GTA V as well. Its just a game that a lot of people think they need to have on their new console, and that rate isn't decreasing notably at all.

It is extremely strange, but that's just the way it is. I think after Red Dead, GTA V will finally start dropping off this rate as some people choose Red Dead instead.

Go Up