Battleborn Announced (Gearbox Software & Take-Two - PS4, XB1 and PC - MOBA & Co-Op Campaign)

Started by ethomaz, Jul 08, 2014, 04:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

ethomaz

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/07/08/game-informer-august-cover-reveal-gearbox-battleborn-654814351318.aspx

Gearbox Software became a household name for gamers last generation with the hit Borderlands series. Borderlands was an experience gamers didn't even know they wanted, wrapping a fusion of first-person shooting and loot-grabbing RPG elements in a living comic book art style. Gearbox wants to change your perception of genres once again with Battleborn, a new IP being published by 2K Games for the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC.

Battleborn takes the minion smashing and fast leveling often associated with MOBAs and injects it into an intergalactic first-person battle arena. The game's dramatic story assembles a universe's worth of disparate heroes, from an immortal samurai to a minigun-wielding giant, all battling over the last star in the cosmos. The absurd premise blows open the doors for creativity, allowing the innovative minds at Gearbox to create a tremendous rogue's gallery of playable characters.

We visited Gearbox's studio in Plano, Texas to talk with the developers about Battleborn and play the first announced competitive match type for Game Informer's August cover story. We played hours of Incursion, an inventive 5 vs. 5 mode that combines fast-paced first-person gameplay with the strategic team-based elements of games like League of Legends and Dota 2. Rival battleborn hunt one another in lush jungles and arid deserts while robotic NPC minions wage an ongoing tug-of-war. Players start on a level playing field at the beginning of each match, progressing along a streamlined skill path up to level 20 filled with customizable abilities that unlock a variety of different play styles. Many of these gameplay elements will also bleed into Battleborn's five-player cooperative campaign, which Gearbox isn't saying much about yet.

Gearbox's unique universal apocalypse premise pulls together a ton of unlockable playable heroes that not only look wildly different, but control like they're from entirely different first-person games. The consummate space marine feels like he's been ripped from any modern shooter. A spry elven huntress leaps far above other players' heads and rains down volleys of deadly arrows, evoking memories of high fantasy heroes. Imagine an archetype you've always wanted to pit against another in a first-person shooter, and that's the dream Gearbox is bringing to life.

Battleborn is an exciting new IP, and there's a lot of cool stuff to talk about with this retail release, including the huge cast of characters, rivaling factions, and Gearbox's signature sense of humor. We discuss it all and more in our 12-page cover story, which is packed with gorgeous screenshots, hands-on impressions, and exclusive details straight from Gearbox. You can get a sample of our month of exclusive online Battleborn coverage by watching our coverage trailer below.

ethomaz

More concept art.

7H3

Excited! I figured they were working on a new ip and can't wait for more!
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Mmm_fish_tacos

ethomaz

Just to be clear it is a MOBA with Co-Op Campaing.

Dr. Pezus

Legend

Jul 09, 2014, 05:56 PM Last Edit: Jul 09, 2014, 06:03 PM by Legend

7H3

these guys know how to make video games fun and beautiful

Legend

these guys know how to make video games fun and beautiful

Eh, I think this art-style is starting to become overused. Especially on next gen.

7H3

I think realism is over used for video games. I'm not sure what other games use this art style

Dr. Pezus

Love this song omg

Legend

I think realism is over used for video games. I'm not sure what other games use this art style

Realism cannot be over used. It's a universal element.

Mmm_fish_tacos

I dunno, i like the art style of the game.

7H3

Realism cannot be over used. It's a universal element.

it doesn't have to be that way with video games... and is not necessary for all games. What I mean is a vast majority of triple A titles are trying to make the game world and characters seem as close to real life as they can. While it is great in some cases other's I don't think its neccessary

Legend

it doesn't have to be that way with video games... and is not necessary for all games. What I mean is a vast majority of triple A titles are trying to make the game world and characters seem as close to real life as they can. While it is great in some cases other's I don't think its necessary

I feel like we need a list warz!