European rocket goes the wrong direction

Started by Legend, Jan 27, 2018, 10:19 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Jan 27, 2018, 10:19 PM Last Edit: Jan 27, 2018, 10:25 PM by Legend
After a "major" launch anomaly, satellites scrambling to reach orbits | Ars Technica

Originally news came out that communication was lost with the second stage. Later it looked like this was just a communication issue and the satellites were deployed successfully.

However now it appears that the error started long before communication was lost. The rocket started going 17 degrees of course and communication was only lost because it was in the wrong location. It's crazy that it wasn't stopped sooner or at least known about. The rocket flew right above populated areas and dumped its stages way outside of the hazard zones.

This is pretty major because this specific rocket has an incredible track record and is supposed to launch the james webb space telescope next year.

Legend

Jan 27, 2018, 10:28 PM Last Edit: Jan 27, 2018, 10:54 PM by Legend
The speculation right now is that the rocket was launched from a different pad at the launch site than originally intended.

Original pad would have ahd the rocket rotated ~17 degrees compared to the one it used.

Mmm_fish_tacos

Seems like a big error. But i  other news, the james web launches this year. Anyone know when?

DD_Bwest

Seems like a big error. But i  other news, the james web launches this year. Anyone know when?
delayed till march-june 2019.

Mmm_fish_tacos

delayed till march-june 2019.
dang it!! You just ruined my whole year.

Legend

Jan 28, 2018, 03:06 AM Last Edit: Jan 28, 2018, 03:13 AM by Legend
dang it!! You just ruined my whole year.
How did you not hear about this till now? Also I said next year in op ;)

Yeah it's probably the worst thing since the last shuttle explosion. Space is hard and rockets will always fail, but the whole industry is designed to keep these failures safe. SpaceX had a rocket explode while fueling for just a test yet no one was harmed because NASA evacuated the area just in case.

Meanwhile this launch goes bad and seemingly no one fully noticed. It got lucky and even got the sats in orbit, but luck was the only thing that protected people on the ground. Even Russia and china are rarely this unsafe.

Check out this video of the rocket going directly above people: