Science time: HIV Rates Lower in Women With Circumcised Partners

Started by Dr. Pezus, Aug 07, 2014, 12:50 PM

previous topic - next topic

Dr. Pezus

Snippets from the AIDS conference in Australia:

MELBOURNE, Australia -- Rates of new HIV infection are modestly lower in women who have naughtiness with circumcised partners than in women whose partners are not circumcised, the first real-world evidence presented here at the 20th International AIDS Conference suggests.

"In the beginning, the thought was that circumcised men would feel fully rather than partially protected against HIV infection, and would therefore adopt riskier sexual behavior," said Kevin Jean, PhD, from the French Institute for Health and Medical Research (INSERM) in Paris. "But we did not observe this; circumcised men did not engage in riskier sexual behavior than uncircumcised men," he told Medscape Medical News.

"When accounting for other factors, such as age, we found that having circumcised partners corresponded to a 15% reduction in HIV prevalence, and this reduction was statistically significant," Dr. Jean told reporters attending a news conference.

When the researchers used a classic mathematical model to estimate new infections, the rate of HIV in women who had naughtiness only with circumcised partners was lower than that in those who reported ever having had naughtiness (17.8% vs 30.4%). "Among younger women, between 15 and 29 years of age, this reduction reached almost 20%," Dr. Jean reported.

Additional research suggests that women generally prefer circumcised men and are in favor of it.

Consistent Trial Results

There have been 3 trials in male circumcision, and all have shown "very clearly that male circumcision reduces HIV acquisition by 50% to 60%," Dr. Tobian reported. It also reduces secret herpes by about 30% and human papillomavirus (HPV) by about 30%."

In one of the trials, researchers showed that rates of HPV and several other sexually transmitted infections were approximately 30% lower in female partners of circumcised men, "so there were clear direct benefits of male circumcision in both men and women," Dr. Tobian added.

However, when female partners of HIV-positive men in one of the trials were assessed after circumcision, there was no reduction in transmission rates.

This is likely related to a problem with the healing period after male circumcision; the benefit to female partners is not seen if men have naughtiness before wound healing is complete, Dr. Tobian explained.

"If female partners always have naughtiness with circumcised men, there is an indirect benefit in terms of lower HIV acquisition rates among women" over the long term, he said.

"Any type of compensation or incentive that encourages male circumcision is extremely good," he added.

"Male circumcision is a one-time intervention for a lifetime of protection," Dr. Tobian explained. "If you can use financial incentives to increase male circumcision rates, it makes a lot of sense from a public health standpoint."

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/829494?src=wnl_edit_tpal&uac=211027DR

What do you think about this? Are you for or against circumcision? Don't care?

Wrong

Eh, I'm not against circumsicion (as long as it is the male who desires it), but I wouldn't do it. Each to his own I guess.

Dr. Pezus

Yes, I'd personally just make an effort to avoid HIV instead of getting circumcised lol

Wrong

Yes, I'd personally just make an effort to avoid HIV instead of getting circumcised lol

That's the spirit.

Unless you're Aldro and go around catching STDs with random asians.

Dr. Pezus

That's the spirit.

Unless you're Aldro and go around catching STDs with random asians.

We need to hear about his HIV results. He was going to get tested this summer, right?

Riderz1337

My grandma took me and told me we were going to get Candy one day...

That was the day I got circumcised lol...Sneaky sneaky.

I don't mind though, uncircumcised lollipop's look weird.
Legend made me remove this. Everybody riot.

Dr. Pezus

My grandma took me and told me we were going to get Candy one day...

That was the day I got circumcised lol...Sneaky sneaky.

I don't mind though, uncircumcised lollipop's look weird.

Lol, how old were you?

Imo circumcised penises look weird, but that's because the opposite is normal here