Would you buy a VR headset for just one game?

Started by Legend, Oct 06, 2018, 09:58 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Right now I think most people buy the headsets for the promise of what's to come. They have good games but even their great games mostly just leave people wanting more.

Do you think sometime soon we will see a Breath of the Wild quality exclusive VR game and would that be enough to push you to buy a headset? Or do you think it'll be at least a fair amount of years before there's a VR exclusive that has the production value and quality to do that?

the-pi-guy

You're right.  The biggest reason right now to have a headset is for the experience.  

I've really been enjoying watching the Astro Bot threads on ResetEra and VGC. Some people on ERA have said it is better than Odyssey.  A number of reviewers compared it to Super Mario 64.

I think Astro Bot is the closest the medium has to that, right now.  And it's certainly pushing me to get a PSVR.  

Aside from that, I'm optimistic about Valve's VR games.

Legend

You're right.  The biggest reason right now to have a headset is for the experience.  
Exactly. VR is cool and good VR games show how cool it can be, but we're still in the pong days. The concept is way more valuable than the execution.

I've really been enjoying watching the Astro Bot threads on ResetEra and VGC. Some people on ERA have said it is better than Odyssey.  A number of reviewers compared it to Super Mario 64.

I think Astro Bot is the closest the medium has to that, right now.  And it's certainly pushing me to get a PSVR.  

Aside from that, I'm optimistic about Valve's VR games.
I'm excited to play Astro Bot. Agreed that it's the closest thing right now but I wonder just how close it is. 10 years from now would an enhanced port of it still be worth people's time?

How much has Valve talked about their VR games? I just assumed they would just be dumb simple things but that'd be awesome if they were full games.

the-pi-guy

I'm excited to play Astro Bot. Agreed that it's the closest thing right now but I wonder just how close it is. 10 years from now would an enhanced port of it still be worth people's time?

How much has Valve talked about their VR games? I just assumed they would just be dumb simple things but that'd be awesome if they were full games.
I think yes.  I've even seen people with very negative expectations end up being floored by the game.  
It probably won't be compared to Super Mario 64, but I think it will be pretty positive still.  

Pretty much the only thing that we know about the games are they are supposed to be "full" titles.  

"When I say we're building three games, we're building three full games, not experiments"

Valve is building three 'full games' for VR - The Verge

I think they will be proper titles.  
Even their "experiments" are meatier than some VR games, to be honest...  

the-pi-guy

Legend

the-pi-guy

Who all owns a VR headset?

You, me, and Bwest right?
I don't believe bwest does.  
Nnodley's does.  

Tacos used to.

Legend

I don't believe bwest does.  
Nnodley's does.  

Tacos used to.
Nnodley was who I was thinking of then.

Is Tacos still interested in VR? @Mmm_fish_tacos

the-pi-guy

Can't even force people into a VR thread. For shame.

the-pi-guy

Wrote a post on facebook polling people to see what they think of VR.  

Legend

Wrote a post on facebook polling people to see what they think of VR.  
Will there be as little interest as there is here?  :P

the-pi-guy

Will there be as little interest as there is here?  :P
I've already got 2 responses.
Both said they are interested, but high prices and few uses are keeping them away.