Sony Q1FY18 - 3.2M PS4 Shipped for 82.2M Total, Operating Income Up 370% YOY

Started by Xevross, Jul 31, 2018, 11:24 AM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

Dualshockers article: 82.2 Million PS4 Shipped by June 2018; Prediction by March 2019 Increased to 96 Million Units

Era thread: 82.2 Million PS4 Shipped by June 2018, Prediction by March 2019 Increased to 96 Million Units | ResetEra

https://www.dualshockers.com/ps4-sales-june-2018/

Sony announced its financial results for the first quarter of fiscal year 2018, which is related to the period between April 1st, and June 30th, 2018.

As usual, we get an update on the number of PS4 units shipped during the quarter. 3.2 million consoles have found their way to retailers around the world. This brings the grand total up to 82.2 million units by June 2018. It was at 79 million three months ago.Click to expand...
Revenue has significantly increased year-on-year to 472.1 billion yen due to growing PS4 software sales through the network. Operating income has also increased massively to 83.5 billion yen due to the effect of higher sales.Click to expand...
We also get the forecast for the full fiscal year for the Game & Network Services segment, which combines PlayStation and PlayStation Network. Interestingly, the prediction for shipments of PS4 units has been increased to 17 million units from the previous 16 million forecast disclosed three months ago. This would bring the grand total to 96 million units by March 2019.Click to expand...
[/size]

Xevross

Jul 31, 2018, 11:25 AM Last Edit: Jul 31, 2018, 11:34 AM by Xevross
Excellent quarter for Sony, PS4 really isn't slowing down at all. And their forecast increase for the year point to a FY target of 17M is a great sign, that's a very small decline over last year and would be fantastic if true. No way Sony would want a new console next year, all they'd need is a price cut.

I expect the huge revenue and profit increase was heavily aided by God of War.

darkknightkryta

Is the ps4 still priced 299?

the-pi-guy

Cute Pikachu

Yo include God of War doing better than I xpectations?
Great quarter for them overall.
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

Dr. Pezus

I knew they would increase their forecast

BananaKing

dang they profited 2 billion just from this quarter. That's huge.

Legend

PS5 2021!

Also, within 6 months it'll pass ps3.

SWORDF1SH

PS5 2021!

I still think it'll come sooner than you think. They won't want MS to get the jump on them, they don't want momentum to wane before they release a new console and the PS5 will be backwards compatible and less disruptive going into the new gen than the PS3 and PS4 were. And it's not like PS5 will kill off the PS4 I still think Nov 19 more than 21 and if they don't announce it early next year I'm wrong.

Xevross

PS5 2021!

2020 is way more likely.

Dr. Pezus

PS5 will be released in 2020. Book it

Xevross

PS5 will be released in 2020. Book it
Yeah this seems very likely now. I'd say 85% chance. 10% it's 2019 and 5% it's 2021.

Legend

2020 seems most likely for me too. I'm just not ready for this gen to end.
I still think it'll come sooner than you think. They won't want MS to get the jump on them, they don't want momentum to wane before they release a new console and the PS5 will be backwards compatible and less disruptive going into the new gen than the PS3 and PS4 were. And it's not like PS5 will kill off the PS4 I still think Nov 19 more than 21 and if they don't announce it early next year I'm wrong.
MS could release a system a year before PS5 without it being a problem. Take ps4 pro and xbox one x as examples of that. I think it just depends on if the later system is "universally" better.

But I think MS will be 2020 too, probably around March. They teased the system this year and can announce it at next e3.