Science General Discussion

Started by Legend, Sep 02, 2014, 07:17 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

Trump released plans for NASA's budget.

Asteroid Redirect Mission is cut. If you don't remember, that was the plan to break a rock off an asteroid and put it into lunar orbit. Then astronauts on SLS would go study it. The original plan was to send astronauts to an actual asteroid but it had been repeatedly watered down over the years.

Now without ARM, SLS will realistically only be used for the Europa Clipper in 2022 and a test launch next year. Will be cool to see the rocket fly but my gosh is it an expensive waste of time.

(congress might ignore Trump and keep ARM. They regularly did that with Obama and gave NASA more money)
The really shame news is that 4 of NASA's climate change projects will be cancelled. I think that might be all of their climate change work.

RIP Earth

Legend

The really shame news is that 4 of NASA's climate change projects will be cancelled. I think that might be all of their climate change work.

RIP Earth
Yeah planetary science is a big big loss with this proposed budget. Hopefully congress ignores that part but I'm not sure that's likely. Most NASA funding increases from congress have been for crewed and deep space exploration.

Legend

Trump signed a NASA authorization act.

I'm linking the video since I'm having a hard time finding a source that really explains what it does or doesn't have some horrible bias. The space subreddit is overrun with climate change deniers at the moment.

the-pi-guy

There's someone in the GAF thread, talking about how the Earth is flat....

Mmm_fish_tacos

There's someone in the GAF thread, talking about how the Earth is flat....
I hope hes getting the train run on him.

DD_Bwest

Legend

DD_Bwest

Mar 24, 2017, 11:07 PM Last Edit: Mar 24, 2017, 11:18 PM by DD_Bwest

Legend

Legend

DD_Bwest

:( not a good record to break lol

Legend

Legend

Gosh darnit.

I saw this image a couple days ago

And it looked so much like Colorado but I googled it and the event was in California.

Then this morning I enjoyed reading all the news out of the event both from SpaceX and Blue Origin. Then I noticed the name of the event was different than the one I was told earlier.

...yup it was Colorado Springs. I could have gone and saw rocket stuff in person  :P . Same thing happened last year lol.

Legend

DD_Bwest

the star that keeps making the news lol

NeoGAF - View Single Post -  Star exhibits strange light patterns which could be a sign of alien activity

So... it just got weirder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QlQc7XYxmkhttps://arxiv.org/abs/1704.02535
 A group of astronomers looked for signs of intelligent life on over 5600 stars close to our planet. More precisely, they looked for sources of laser light that couldn't be produced naturally.
 While there was no actual positive sign for any of the targets, they got some potentially 'false positives', and guess which star showed up... yup.

Go Up