Eurogamer: Minecraft Better Together Update is a Mess.

Started by Legend, Oct 18, 2017, 12:40 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Eurogamer: Minecraft Better Together Update is a Mess. - NeoGAF

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ess-on-console
Microsoft never did a great job of communicating the fact its Better Together Update is not actually an update for console owners. It's a completely different game - one which is almost identical to Minecraft's previous Pocket Edition for mobiles.

The new version of Minecraft has ditched the console version's user interface completely. Your inventory and crafting are now organised using a different UI - shown above - from the mobile version of the game designed for a touchscreen, or for a mouse and keyboard.

Redstone (Minecraft's equivalent of electrical wiring) has different systems on different platforms. The old console version was different to the Pocket Edition version - so imported worlds from Minecraft: Xbox One Edition now need redstone to be rewired to work.

On console, players have always been able to see their position on an X/Y/Z axis by holding any map item. On Pocket Edition, you could not do this. So, since this new version of Minecraft is based on the Pocket Edition, console players have been left without this option.

And then there's the in-game store. Minecraft's store is front and center when you load the game, the option to buy a world the first you need to scroll past before being able to dismiss the game's latest patch notes.

Finally, there are the bugs. I've found it incredibly difficult to transfer my world over from the previous Xbox One version of the game. I've tried this a couple of times, with mixed success. It's a slow process, but that's fine - give your world 15 minutes or so and it should be downloaded and converted to play instantly from now on.
 "Should be" is the key here, however. I had to try three times on my home console before it actually worked and didn't time out. I tried twice here in the office and both times failed, the last time hard crashing the whole console. Each time, I was waiting to play for more than half an hour in total. Not a great start. When my world did finally load, I couldn't eat.

darkknightkryta

Why is it whenever Microsoft touches something it turns to shame?  

Legend

Why is it whenever Microsoft touches something it turns to shame?  
Well it probably makes more short term profit :shrug:

Joeyjakkrit

It is very good. I read that feeling that I know what is new knowledge for me.

Dr. Pezus

It is very good. I read that feeling that I know what is new knowledge for me.

Huh

Legend

Huh
Some spam broke through. I think I might need to update some stuff.

the-pi-guy

Some spam broke through. I think I might need to update some stuff.
That's just Joey Jak Krit.  Really nice guy.  Definitely not spam.  

/s