It's time to stop hating on Unity

Started by Legend, Jul 21, 2017, 01:59 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Jul 21, 2017, 01:59 AM Last Edit: Jul 21, 2017, 02:36 AM by Legend
It's time to stop hating on Unity - NeoGAF

Over the years, I've seen a growing amount of hate from gamers and members of this forum regarding Unity as an engine. Seems the conversation blew up on twitter this morning after a tweet encapsulated the sentiment:/ I highly recommend this Jimquisition video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlQtW4Fzizw). I don't even usually care for Jim Sterling but this video is spot on.
The engine's biggest blessing is simply something of a curse for the market overall, as it is, by its own design, completely open, simple to use, and offers pre-developed assets for amateur and professional developers alike to purchase and utilize entire systems, worlds, and mechanics before building whatever game they like on top of that.

Unity can be tough to optimize for consoles, but it is up to the developer to understand their tool and their constraints when shipping a product. It is not unity's fault if they ship a busted game. It is 100% undeniable what Unity's capabilities are when you look at games like Ori and the Blind forest, one of the most beautiful and tightest platformers made in years, released on consoles.  I searched and didn't see a thread for this on the GAF so I figured I'd make one. Punt into the sun if old. edit: for what it's worth, I don't agree that this is Journalism's fault but I think that is entirely separate conversation

Cute Pikachu

Jul 21, 2017, 02:06 AM Last Edit: Jul 21, 2017, 11:49 AM by Cute Pikachu
The problem is the engine has a lot of technical issues and until those are fixed they warrant criticism(not by hate but constructive criticism).
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

Legend

The problem is the engine has a lot of technical issues and until those are fixed they warrant criticism(by hate but constructive criticism).
But those technical issues are solvable. It's more of a problem of Unity marketing itself for newbs but not being newb friendly.

VizionEck has taken a lot of work to get it running smoothly and that's definitely a problem of the engine, but the results of Ori, Inside, and hopefully VizionEck speak for themselves. The tech issues are overblown.

the-pi-guy

I was thinking of posting this, but people here already know better.  ::)

It's a free engine in an industry that for a very long time didn't have free engines.  And it is actually capable of a lot.  

It isn't the most capable engine out of the box, but it is fixable.  At the end of the day, I would blame the devs. They can do more to fix the engine.

darkknightkryta

But those technical issues are solvable. It's more of a problem of Unity marketing itself for newbs but not being newb friendly.

VizionEck has taken a lot of work to get it running smoothly and that's definitely a problem of the engine, but the results of Ori, Inside, and hopefully VizionEck speak for themselves. The tech issues are overblown.
Yeah I find Unity overly complex.  But I'm sure Unity would make sense for an artist...

Legend

Yeah I find Unity overly complex.  But I'm sure Unity would make sense for an artist...
No if you're an artist, you'd probably prefer Unreal.

Unity is good for techy people that want control over how things work.

darkknightkryta

No if you're an artist, you'd probably prefer Unreal.

Unity is good for techy people that want control over how things work.
I think tech people would prefer Monogame :P

Legend

Touche

the-pi-guy

Real tech people would prefer to develop their game completely in assembly.

darkknightkryta

Real tech people would prefer to develop their game completely in assembly.
No they wouldn't -_-

On another note, all of Capcom's arcade games up until Naomi were all programmed in assembly

the-pi-guy

No they wouldn't -_-

On another note, all of Capcom's arcade games up until Naomi were all programmed in assembly
Pft you wouldn't know a real tech person if they made a roller coaster tycoon game in assembly and threw it in your face.

Legend

Pft you wouldn't know a real tech person if they made a roller coaster tycoon game in assembly and threw it in your face.
I assumed you were alluding to Chris Sawyer in your other post  ;D

darkknightkryta

No?

the-pi-guy

Legend