No Man's Sky "Path Finder" Content Update announced

Started by Legend, Mar 07, 2017, 05:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

I'm more interested in the improved graphics to be honest. I play the game to explore and having more variety in topography and environments is welcome.
I doubt that's what improved graphics means. It's probably optimizations on the tech side of things to increase LOD distances, improve texture filtering, etc.

GribbleGrunger

nnodley

Yeah I'm definitely gonna have to jump back in on this after this update.  Just play it here and there.  A land vehicle should have been there at launch, but at least we are getting it now.  Also the 4k output should look great and the new lighting and AO effects should help with the image a lot.

Also those plants on that planet when they were driving around were so cool.  Never came up on anything like those before so maybe they are new.  unless someone else has seen them before.

GribbleGrunger

Yeah I'm definitely gonna have to jump back in on this after this update.  Just play it here and there.  A land vehicle should have been there at launch, but at least we are getting it now.  Also the 4k output should look great and the new lighting and AO effects should help with the image a lot.

Also those plants on that planet when they were driving around were so cool.  Never came up on anything like those before so maybe they are new.  unless someone else has seen them before.
Yeah, I've seen them before. I really hope they've added new types of creatures and plants but I'm happy about this update though.

Legend

Buggy looks like it has pretty good handling. Overall seems like a good continuation of the pathfinder update, although it's funny that both updates are primarily focused on taking the game in a completely different direction than what the original game attempted.

nnodley

Buggy looks like it has pretty good handling. Overall seems like a good continuation of the pathfinder update, although it's funny that both updates are primarily focused on taking the game in a completely different direction than what the original game attempted.
Yeah it's weird, but I like it though.  

GribbleGrunger

nnodley

Website is live:

Path Finder Update : No Man's Sky

The graphical updates look very nice.  This is a huge update and it seems they made finding your home/base planet easier if you travel far.  

GribbleGrunger

GribbleGrunger

Legend

1.22 Patch LIVE. 4.816GB
4.8 GB for a bug patch.

Hello games sure could optimize their patch sizes.

GribbleGrunger

4.8 GB for a bug patch.

Hello games sure could optimize their patch sizes.
I think it's just a redownload of the Pathfinder patch with fixes. Vehicles can now be driven on any planet (I don't like this idea) and there are little fixes like being able to transfer items straight from your vehicle to your suit.

Legend

I think it's just a redownload of the Pathfinder patch with fixes. Vehicles can now be driven on any planet (I don't like this idea) and there are little fixes like being able to transfer items straight from your vehicle to your suit.
The Pathfinder patch was also bloated, same with every patch beforehand. Excluding the music added, nothing should be taking that much file space. Just amuzing how bad it is with this patch.

Why don't you like driving on any planet? That's something that I definitely like is changed.

GribbleGrunger

The Pathfinder patch was also bloated, same with every patch beforehand. Excluding the music added, nothing should be taking that much file space. Just amuzing how bad it is with this patch.

Why don't you like driving on any planet? That's something that I definitely like is changed.
Everything was balanced perfectly with the two previous updates. It all came together in Survival mode and Permadeath mode. Those things that didn't seem to make sense suddenly had merit and it was clear Survival mode was meant to be how the game was original played. You suddenly found yourself opening all the boxes, buying provisions for your journey, upgrading your suit and ship, because it 'mattered' and without doing so, the game was difficult. It gave us agency.

Now those suit upgrades have lost some of their purpose and the hazards on planets can be circumvented quite easily. The vehicles have replaced ALL of that and now allow us to wonder these dangerous environments with relative ease, the only real problem (which has now just become an annoyance) is the whip plants that you accidentally run over while using the vehicles. We need to be punished in some way for taking the 'easy way out'. There needs to be a trade off between traversal on foot and on wheels. There has to be a reason to use both or to choose one over the other.

Hopefully Hello Games can find a way of giving us a reason for that choice. I think we shouldn't just be able to call up our vehicles as we please for instance, and something needs adding that makes it an exciting moment when you stumble across the opportunity to use them; something that makes a long trek on foot rewarding but necessary. I'd suggest 'calling stations' that aren't found by scanning. When you come across such a rare 'calling station' you CAN call your vehicle, but it needs to cost units, preferably the new units they introduced. This gives walking a reason, collecting units a reason and makes finding these rare 'calling stations' a sense of excitement. Vehicles should also be subject to the same conditions suits are, albeit a little more robust.

GribbleGrunger

New patch notes. Hopefully it releases soon:

Optimised HBAO so that it runs faster
 Added an option to lock framerate on PS4 to 30 fps to keep the frame rate stable
 Sentinel drones now investigate correctly when in a vehicle
 Fixed a rare bug that could cause players to fall through the floor when exiting a ship
 Fixed texturing issue in freighter bases
 Fixed and inventory exploit when purchasing multiple ships in a freighter that allows you to duplicate your ship's inventory
 Fixed a bug that causes freighters to be too cheap
 You can no longer build the Exocraft Terminal in freighter bases, this prevented players from being able to complete the vehicle missions
 Fix for ships spawning on top of each other
 Fixed a crash in physics
 Fixed a crash resulting from running out of memory
 Improved vehicle audio
 Fix for certain UI elements having over-saturated colours in HDR
 Fix for font anti-aliasing in HDR
 Improved performance of UI rendering in HDR
 Fix for HDR rendering being dark on some TV models
 Fixed a visual issue with the T-shaped corridor
 Added error messaging for failed uploads to Steam Workshop
 Colossus camera is now slightly further back when moving at speed
 Exocraft mining lasers are now easier to aim up