Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

Um no, not at all. The fanbase thought it was way too dark. In their mind characters like Luke are pure heroes and having them make mistakes/ fail is basically heresy.

Spoiler for Hidden:
Obviously most of them were very unhappy about Luke dying as well. Plus Snoke dying didn't go down well, since TFA built him up as some big bad guy but he got killed off without much explanation. Obviously, TLJ is setting up Ren is the real, complex villain, but it doesn't continue TFA's story very well.

Of course she can control the force, I just don't she has ever bothered too much before. She's as much of a Skywalker as Luke is, her powers could be comparable to his if she trained them.
I liked how TLJ didn't care about TFA. TFA was enjoyable to watch but frustratingly stupid from a script/canon point of view so it was nice that TLJ took the franchise in its own direction. As long as Abrams doesn't come back and make episode 9 a copy of Return of the Jedi, we should be good.

Xevross

May 12, 2018, 10:32 AM Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 11:57 AM by Xevross
Infinity War will be the first film in history to open with $200m+ in two different markets. That's nice.

Edit: well, unless the drop is unexpectedly bad tomorrow in China.

Xevross

$78M Saturday in China for Infinity War, a new all time record. Needs a hold of -34% or better to have an OW of $200m+. A drop of over 34% would be bad, but its hard to predict what this film will do. Let's see how it fares tomorrow.

Domestic Friday is $16m. Fully fallen behind Black Panther now on a day by day basis, but not by too much. Also passed $500m domestic. International numbers should take its total to near $1.4bn at the end of Friday.

Xevross

May 13, 2018, 11:15 AM Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 11:45 AM by Xevross
So that disastrous Sunday drop in China needed to miss $200m is actually happening. Its going to land almost exactly on $200m, 50/50 on whether it gets it. dang you China. After smashing the pre-sales record, this is a very disappointing weekend, its nowhere near the record in Yuan. It might set a new dollar opening record in China, but that's all due to exchange rates. Hopefully China can still land with over $300m lifetime, $350m would be fantastic from this point.

$27m domestic saturday apparently, that's a strong bump sort of in the middle of Avengers and BP bumps. Its going to come quite close to $700m domestic imo, next weekend will be the big deicder with DP2 releasing.

With just over $1b overseas - China, just over $300m in China and just under $700m dom, this should just reach $2bn WW in total. I'd say its a 60/40 chance to hit/miss $2bn right now.

Dr. Pezus

So that disastrous Sunday drop in China needed to miss $200m is actually happening. Its going to land almost exactly on $200m, 50/50 on whether it gets it. dang you China. After smashing the pre-sales record, this is a very disappointing weekend, its nowhere near the record in Yuan. It might set a new dollar opening record in China, but that's all due to exchange rates. Hopefully China can still land with over $300m lifetime, $350m would be fantastic from this point.

$27m domestic saturday apparently, that's a strong bump sort of in the middle of Avengers and BP bumps. Its going to come quite close to $700m domestic imo, next weekend will be the big deicder with DP2 releasing.

With just over $1b overseas - China, just over $300m in China and just under $700m dom, this should just reach $2bn WW in total. I'd say its a 60/40 chance to hit/miss $2bn right now.
Great stuff in any case!

Xevross

Great stuff in any case!
Of course. I didn't see this film making it to $2bn before the first numbers came out. I was thinking $1.6-1.8b. This is all excellent.

Xevross

May 13, 2018, 04:00 PM Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 04:12 PM by Xevross
Wow, China estimate is $200.06M, just made it. Rest of international weekend was $81.3m. Dom weekend estimate is $62m, that's a great performance.

Total is $1.606b worldwide, the 5th biggest film of all time already.

Edit: final gross is going to be $2.0-2.1bn most likely.

Legend

Anyone hyped for Solo?

BananaKing

Anyone hyped for Solo?
I wonder how many subpar movies it takes for starwars fans to get bored of this franchise.

Dr. Pezus

Anyone hyped for Solo?
Nah but I'm hoping it'll be a sleeper like Rogue One

I wonder how many subpar movies it takes for starwars fans to get bored of this franchise.
The last jedi got me more hyped!

Legend

Fans don't work that way  :P

Nah but I'm hoping it'll be a sleeper like Rogue One
The last jedi got me more hyped!
Last Jedi was really different but Solo feels so generic. I think it looks kinda enjoyable but I don't care in the slightest to its connections with star wars.

Dr. Pezus

Fans don't work that way  :P
Last Jedi was really different but Solo feels so generic. I think it looks kinda enjoyable but I don't care in the slightest to its connections with star wars.
Yeah I don't think the main actor is likeable enough either. Here's hoping the story is spectacular!

Dr. Pezus

Holy shame the actor is one year older me and already greying a lot. dang son

Xevross

I'm looking forward to Solo but I'm not really hyped. There's about a 1% chance I'll love it as much as Rogue One.

Dr. Pezus

I'm looking forward to Solo but I'm not really hyped. There's about a 1% chance I'll love it as much as Rogue One.
That Darth Vader scene is too great to overcome

Go Up