Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

Dr. Pezus

What did you think of it?
Surprisingly good after all the backlash I heard.

How did Leia survive outside in space though lol?

Xevross

Surprisingly good after all the backlash I heard.

How did Leia survive outside in space though lol?
The backlash was just from butthurt fanboys honestly. I liked it a lot. The biggest problem is the discontinuity with TFA. Every major plot point TFA sets up, TLJ seems to disregard and do its own thing. If TFA was different and built up to what TLJ actually became, people would like it more.

Da powa of da force, bro.

Dr. Pezus

The backlash was just from butthurt fanboys honestly. I liked it a lot. The biggest problem is the discontinuity with TFA. Every major plot point TFA sets up, TLJ seems to disregard and do its own thing. If TFA was different and built up to what TLJ actually became, people would like it more.

Da powa of da force, bro.
In what ways? I'm guessing they wanted it to be darker.
The movie felt a lot like empire strikes back though. That final battle for example. I heard some complaints about the humor and honestly I thought it just made it more enjoyable. Didn't notice much more than a few jokes but I had heard there were a lot and in inappropriate moments.

Was it thanks to the ring she had? Didn't know Leia could control the force

Xevross

In what ways? I'm guessing they wanted it to be darker.
The movie felt a lot like empire strikes back though. That final battle for example. I heard some complaints about the humor and honestly I thought it just made it more enjoyable. Didn't notice much more than a few jokes but I had heard there were a lot and in inappropriate moments.

Was it thanks to the ring she had? Didn't know Leia could control the force
Um no, not at all. The fanbase thought it was way too dark. In their mind characters like Luke are pure heroes and having them make mistakes/ fail is basically heresy.

Spoiler for Hidden:
Obviously most of them were very unhappy about Luke dying as well. Plus Snoke dying didn't go down well, since TFA built him up as some big bad guy but he got killed off without much explanation. Obviously, TLJ is setting up Ren is the real, complex villain, but it doesn't continue TFA's story very well.

Of course she can control the force, I just don't she has ever bothered too much before. She's as much of a Skywalker as Luke is, her powers could be comparable to his if she trained them.

Dr. Pezus

Um no, not at all. The fanbase thought it was way too dark. In their mind characters like Luke are pure heroes and having them make mistakes/ fail is basically heresy.

Spoiler for Hidden:
Obviously most of them were very unhappy about Luke dying as well. Plus Snoke dying didn't go down well, since TFA built him up as some big bad guy but he got killed off without much explanation. Obviously, TLJ is setting up Ren is the real, complex villain, but it doesn't continue TFA's story very well.

Of course she can control the force, I just don't she has ever bothered too much before. She's as much of a Skywalker as Luke is, her powers could be comparable to his if she trained them.
Oh that explains it.

Hmm well then I've read some conflicting complaints. On the one hand it's too light hearted, and on the other it's too dark.

Also, I'm glad Ren is supposed to be the ultimate baddie over Snoke. I like my villains conflicted

Xevross

Oh that explains it.

Hmm well then I've read some conflicting complaints. On the one hand it's too light hearted, and on the other it's too dark.

Also, I'm glad Ren is supposed to be the ultimate baddie over Snoke. I like my villains conflicted
Oh yeah. I think Ren is a fantastic bad guy. The best SW has had in terms of being well developed and complex. Of course, my friends who just want BADASS DARTH VADER HELL YEAH don't agree, because he's too young and inexperienced etc... Man, not enough people care about good writing :P

Xevross

May 11, 2018, 03:10 PM Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 03:16 PM by Xevross
IW opens to $71m in China. It had the worst pre-sales to actual box office sales ratio ever, but its still enough for #3 opening day of all time behind FF8 and MH2. Thanks to stronger dollar and MCU's much stronger Saturdays, IW will take the overall opening weekend record. The question is by how much, hopefully it manages to make over $200m in its opening weekend. Right now that seems more likely than not, thanks to incredible Saturday and Sunday pre-sales, but the actuals for IW have only missed expectations so far...

Edit: Just to give you an idea about that ^^ IW pre sold 182M Yen for opening day, yet made 392M Yen in total (not counting Thursday midnights). That's a ratio of 2.15. FF8 had a ratio of just over 2.5, a record low, and people thought that was awful. Its been a weird day.

FF8 also has the record low Saturday pre-sales to final ratio (at 3.0), and its almost certain IW will break that record low too. Thankfully, IW's saturday presales are absolutely massive, so even if it only manages 2.5x, it will still make over 500M Yen on Saturday, which is pretty much the number needed for $200m OW. (Pre-sales are just over 200M Yen for Saturday).

Xevross

Tracking China box office is great fun. They have a sit ( 猫眼专业版-实时票房 ) which has the numbers coming in from all across the country pretty much live, and it updates every 4 seconds. So you can watch the gross go up all the time and see where its going. So it was known IW was having a bad day early on, and people were hoping for it to pick up, and keeping an eye on it throughout the day. You can change the date in the bottom left corner. All eyes are now on the total for the 12th, hopefully its well passed 50000 by this time tomorrow.

the-pi-guy

IW opens to $71m in China. It had the worst pre-sales to actual box office sales ratio ever, but its still enough for #3 opening day of all time behind FF8 and MH2.
LAME!  

FF8 also has the record low Saturday pre-sales to final ratio (at 3.0), and its almost certain IW will break that record low too. Thankfully, IW's saturday presales are absolutely massive, so even if it only manages 2.5x, it will still make over 500M Yen on Saturday, which is pretty much the number needed for $200m OW. (Pre-sales are just over 200M Yen for Saturday).
Why is this in yen?  

Xevross

LAME!  
Why is this in yen?  
Oh I meant Yuan, my bad.

Xevross

Actually, unless the Sunday drop is catastrophic, 480M Yuan should do it for tomorrow. Hopefully it will be over 500M though, we'll see.

Domestically, $60M is the target for the weekend after a great Thursday hold ($6.9m). It would be fantastic if it could match or beat BP's $66m third weekend, but that's doubtful. We're all aboard the train to $2bn now.

the-pi-guy

I'll get my coat.

Xevross

Its funny actually, the end target that was set for BP was TLJ's total, since it seemed like that's where it was roughly heading. Now IW's target is TFA. BP made it, can IW? Its going to be super close.

TLJ will also fall out of the all time top 10 this weekend, it had a very short stay. Deathly Hallows part 2 is going to drop from #8 to #10 as both IW and BP pass it.

Xevross

Holy balls, the overseas Thursday gross was bigger than Wednesday. That's nuts, this film is going crazy overseas.

Also there's some weirdness going on with the China numbers. Some places are reporting $76m instead of the $71m I said before. There's a suggestion that Maoyan might have missed some shows being added, so didn't count the gross for them (like it did for FF8) and that $76m is actually right. Or the $76m calculation was a mistake. If $76m is right though then we are on for a big OW in China. We'll find out which is right soon....

Go Up