Todd Howard blames Sony for no cross play in Fallout 76

Started by the-pi-guy, Jun 30, 2018, 03:15 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

https://www.resetera.com/threads/todd-howard-blames-sony-for-no-cross-play-in-fallout-76.52440/

Todd Howard is annoyed by Sony's stalemate attitude: "We would love to do that, but right now that's not possible."

Legend

It's weird how this has become such a big issue even though nothing has really changed. Rocket League was one of the first games pushing for it, but I wonder if the movement could be traced back to something earlier.

I wonder if it'll result in Sony putting more resources into BC or other features that could help get the heat off them.

Ludicrous Speed

Good. Hopefully more big developers pressure them, and hopefully people buy software elsewhere. I won't buy any more Ubisoft or EA titles on my PS4 because who knows what kind of account lock bullsh we might see.

None of the games people have made a big deal about so far really NEED crossplay because they're all huge titles with big player pools. Sony shills like to say "well, Sony shouldn't share their user base advantage with the others!" But were talking about games like Rocket League, Minecraft, and Fortnite. And now Fallout. These games have big playerbases already.

Where crossplay would be great is all those smaller less played MP titles with dedicated players who have trouble consistently getting matches. Awesomenauts, Evolve, Battleborn, virtually every racing game with online play, fighters, etc. Games like these, we would see big benefit for gamers.

Also, his name is Godd Howard.

Cute Pikachu

When even Nintendo is ahead of the curve on an online issue. You know you iced up. Wake up Sont
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

Dr. Pezus

Lol. I remember last gen when Sony allowed cross play and MS did not.

Cute Pikachu

Doesn't make either of them right.
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

darkknightkryta

Everyone seems to be ignoring this...

Legend

Good. Hopefully more big developers pressure them, and hopefully people buy software elsewhere. I won't buy any more Ubisoft or EA titles on my PS4 because who knows what kind of account lock bullsh we might see.

None of the games people have made a big deal about so far really NEED crossplay because they're all huge titles with big player pools. Sony shills like to say "well, Sony shouldn't share their user base advantage with the others!" But were talking about games like Rocket League, Minecraft, and Fortnite. And now Fallout. These games have big playerbases already.

Where crossplay would be great is all those smaller less played MP titles with dedicated players who have trouble consistently getting matches. Awesomenauts, Evolve, Battleborn, virtually every racing game with online play, fighters, etc. Games like these, we would see big benefit for gamers.

Also, his name is Godd Howard.
Locking the account like with Fortnite is crazy and should get all the backlash possible.

I don't like backlash for the lack of crossplay though. No informed gamer has ever bought a system/game and expected it'd be possible to play against people on a different console. It'd be just as random as buying a game for one system and expecting it to play on another. Crossplay between PS4 and XB1 could be cool in a lot of ways just like crossbuy between PS4 and XB1 could be cool in a lot of ways, but it's not a problem for a company to not want to support them. Eh it's great for people to express their desire for features they want. I'm just frustrated with people demanding these features as if it's anti-consumer to not have them.

I do wonder if some group/forum has been pushing these things. Crossplay has been a thing for generations and some big games talked about it so I understand why it has become popular to discuss, but other things seemingly came out of nowhere. Like calling first party games anti-consumer. How has something so obviously false become such a popular narrative online? Maybe I'm just an old man afraid of change. I don't remember last gen having such a push to rewrite the rules on how the industry works.

Dr. Pezus

Doesn't make either of them right.
No. But it makes MS hypocrites and explains why both did it

Ludicrous Speed

Locking the account like with Fortnite is crazy and should get all the backlash possible.

I don't like backlash for the lack of crossplay though. No informed gamer has ever bought a system/game and expected it'd be possible to play against people on a different console. It'd be just as random as buying a game for one system and expecting it to play on another. Crossplay between PS4 and XB1 could be cool in a lot of ways just like crossbuy between PS4 and XB1 could be cool in a lot of ways, but it's not a problem for a company to not want to support them. Eh it's great for people to express their desire for features they want. I'm just frustrated with people demanding these features as if it's anti-consumer to not have them.

I do wonder if some group/forum has been pushing these things. Crossplay has been a thing for generations and some big games talked about it so I understand why it has become popular to discuss, but other things seemingly came out of nowhere. Like calling first party games anti-consumer. How has something so obviously false become such a popular narrative online? Maybe I'm just an old man afraid of change. I don't remember last gen having such a push to rewrite the rules on how the industry works.
It's progress. I didn't expect the Xbox One to have backwards compatibility, especially OG Xbox BC when I bought it and I didn't expect my PS4 to be updated to support HDR.

I've never heard of this "first party is anti consumer" stuff. Where are you reading this? Or are you referring to stuff like paid exclusives?

Legend

It's progress. I didn't expect the Xbox One to have backwards compatibility, especially OG Xbox BC when I bought it and I didn't expect my PS4 to be updated to support HDR.

I've never heard of this "first party is anti consumer" stuff. Where are you reading this? Or are you referring to stuff like paid exclusives?
BC was on previous systems so there was some anger when XB1 was first announced without it but yeah.

The "first party is anti consumer" sentiment is pretty popular on reddit and I sometimes see it on resetera. It's specifically about games developed and published by the platform holder, not paid exclusives.

Kerotan

I'll tell you who's mainly behind this movement. It's the anti Sony shills who mainly play on xbox, Nintendo and pc. They've been so salty since Sony dominated this gen and basically single handedly kept the home console market alive. This is their chance to start a movement against playstation in the hope their boxes will benefit.

Sony are dead right not to allow it, especially with xbox who have always been very hostile towards playstation. If Microsoft want crossplay so badly with ps4 there is a simple step they can apply. Allow psn on xbox. Otherwise fudge off out of the market.

It's hilarious listen to them constantly beg Sony who last gen they mocked so much. The tables have turned.

Just for lols Sony should make the ps5 crossplay compatible with the switch, steam, ios, android and ps4. The next Xbox is going to do shame again anyway so no loss to anyone.

Ludicrous Speed

Cool, we have GameFAQS sponsored posts here now.

Xevross

I'll tell you who's mainly behind this movement. It's the anti Sony shills who mainly play on xbox, Nintendo and pc. They've been so salty since Sony dominated this gen and basically single handedly kept the home console market alive. This is their chance to start a movement against playstation in the hope their boxes will benefit.

Sony are dead right not to allow it, especially with xbox who have always been very hostile towards playstation. If Microsoft want crossplay so badly with ps4 there is a simple step they can apply. Allow psn on xbox. Otherwise fudge off out of the market.

It's hilarious listen to them constantly beg Sony who last gen they mocked so much. The tables have turned.

Just for lols Sony should make the ps5 crossplay compatible with the switch, steam, ios, android and ps4. The next Xbox is going to do shame again anyway so no loss to anyone.
From what I've seen its more disappointed playstation players, like me.

"He did it first" is never a reason for anything. Sony are the bad guys for doing this, and it hurts us playstation gamers as much as anyone else, possibly even more so. Sony claimed to be "for the gamers" this whole gen, but they're proving that they care the least about gamers out of the big three.

They should just allow cross play like Nintendo and Microsoft do, it has way more benefits than downsides now.

DerNebel

From what I've seen its more disappointed playstation players, like me.

"He did it first" is never a reason for anything. Sony are the bad guys for doing this, and it hurts us playstation gamers as much as anyone else, possibly even more so. Sony claimed to be "for the gamers" this whole gen, but they're proving that they care the least about gamers out of the big three.

They should just allow cross play like Nintendo and Microsoft do, it has way more benefits than downsides now.
What are the upsides for Sony?