Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

I'm sure marvel and Disney are crying in a huge pool of cash made from 1.7b bucks.
Lol, well I don't care about the money Disney makes. As an MCU fan I really want to see it reach $2bn :D

It reached $1.8bn with the weekend numbers, seems to be heading for the range between $2b and TFA's $2.07b now. Deadpool 2 had a great opening of just over $300M worldwide. Didn't quite match the first film, which is a shame but it will make some good money.

Sequels almost always have a higher proportion of their BO on the opening weekend, so making less money than the first during OW means its almost guaranteed to fall quite a bit short of the first film overall.

Dr. Pezus

Lol, well I don't care about the money Disney makes. As an MCU fan I really want to see it reach $2bn :D

It reached $1.8bn with the weekend numbers, seems to be heading for the range between $2b and TFA's $2.07b now. Deadpool 2 had a great opening of just over $300M worldwide. Didn't quite match the first film, which is a shame but it will make some good money.

Sequels almost always have a higher proportion of their BO on the opening weekend, so making less money than the first during OW means its almost guaranteed to fall quite a bit short of the first film overall.
Probably has quite a bit to do with release timing

Xevross

Probably has quite a bit to do with release timing
Yeah if IW wasn't around it would have performed slightly better. Its got to face Solo next week which will cut away its legs immediately. This release date for DP2 was a complete mistake for Fox. They could have grown the franchise but now its damage control.

Xevross

Solo seems like it might be heading for a disappointing run. There's a lack of interest in most markets, and pre-sales aren't so good. It seems like there's a big chance it'll fall short of $1bn (Rogue One managed 1.05), which would probably indicate the worst ever performance of a Star Wars film in terms of tickets/ attendance.

In particular it seems like its going to be a megaflop in China, as presales are woeful. They called it Ranger solo there, as TLJ was so toxic for the Star Wars brand they've tried to disassociate Solo with it. TLJ only made $42m in China (RO made $69m and TFA made $124m), but even that number isn't going to happen in Solo's wildest dreams. The continued massive decline of Star Wars films in China is quite staggering.

Legend

the-pi-guy

So I figured out why Star Wars trilogy is bad.

It's because of diversity.  Too many black people and women.  

At least that's what I was told.  

Legend

So I figured out why Star Wars trilogy is bad.

It's because of diversity.  Too many black people and women.  

At least that's what I was told.  
Um what?

Xevross

:o

The lego movie was awesome

I'm way more excited for Incredibles 2 than Solo right now. I think a lot of people would say the same.

the-pi-guy

Um what?
Chertz: forced diversity is bad such as in Star Wars.  

Xevross

IW and Deadpool 2 holding quite well on Monday. IW now looks certain to fall short of $700m/ BP's total domestically. Man, who would have thought that BP was going to gross more than IW domestically just a few months ago.

Speaking of $700m, that's a worldwide total target that's being talked about for Solo. Quite a lot of BO followers think it might fall under that. Now that would be absolutely catastrophic. Its going to be an interesting one to follow. The 4 day memorial-day OW record is $139m, held by Pirates World's End. Solo not setting a new record would be the first sign of a disastrous BO run.

Xevross

Wow Deadpool had a fantastic Tuesday, $12.4m compared to the first film's 11.5. Early signs that legs might be a lot stronger than expected.

I doubt Solo will cut away at DP2's legs much, it continues to look very bleak for that film. I hope I'll enjoy it at least

Xevross

We're going to see Solo at midnight tonight and we haven't even bother to book because the screens are just so empty. Seems like a much lower opening than even Rogue One will be happening.

Legend

We're going to see Solo at midnight tonight and we haven't even bother to book because the screens are just so empty. Seems like a much lower opening than even Rogue One will be happening.
How was it?

Xevross

May 24, 2018, 01:52 AM Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 01:56 AM by Xevross
How was it?
Great actually. Just good fun, nothing too special.

It wasn't as obvious, predictable or cheesy as I thought it would be. The action was good, but not Rogue One level. I liked Han a lot more than I thought I would, he definitely plays exactly like you'd expect young Han Solo to. Lots of great moments for fans to appreciate. Definitely worth a watch.

Xevross

Rogue One > Solo ~ TFA >> TLJ out of the new films for me (in terms of enjoyment/ how much I like them).

Go Up