The Avatar land at Disney World is amazing. Avatar 2 will be huge

Started by Legend, Jun 20, 2018, 02:34 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

It's one of the best lands Disney has ever made, and acts like a preview for Avatar 2.

The main ride includes a ~5 minute video within the Avatar world. It's made by the people making Avatar 2 and it's just so awesome. We waited in line for 2.5 hours and loved it. The ride itself is just so amazing and well done too.

Xevross

nnodley

YAY! So jealous though! I want to go there so bad!!

Legend

I have more time to talk about it. First I'll gush about the park, and then I'll talk about Avatar 2.

The place has floating mountains just like in the film. They're huge! You can walk under them and see them from all sides. Offer a lot of shade too. Most of the plants in the area don't feel that similar to the movie but they do feel very alien. It's a mix of exotic real world plants and fake plastic ones. All look real.

The land is set a generation after Avatar 1. This way it's not telling the story we know but instead just putting us in the Avatar world. RDA humans have left but ACE humans have come to repair the relationship with the Na'vi and explore in peace. The park area has human buildings in ruin and new ones. They have a rusted mech suit from the movie in this area. We also saw a guy piloting a slightly smaller version. It was well done. The cast members are great. They're nice like everyone in Disney but they also pretend like everything is real. IE they'll talk about things being "back on Earth" and you can ask why they came to Pandora. They all have backstories.

The food and drink in the land is good. For food they have Chinese pork bun like things that are filled with not Chinese pork. We tried a cheeseburger one and a curry one. Yummy. They also had bowl like dishes that you could customize. Both the ones we tried were good too and had nice sauces. Dessert was a cool blue sphere with a yellow thing on top. Was great. Drinks were fruity and had bobba. Had a light inside to make it glow at night.

There are 2 rides in the area. The first is Na'vi river journey. It's a slow boat ride through the forest at night. Cool ride with great music. The second is flight of passage. It's a huge ride that is very active and thrilling. I won't spoil it for you, but it's the first "simulator" ride that makes you feel involved since you can't help but lean around in your chair. You really feel like you're flying on the back of a banshee. Also has a cool line and fun preshow. I road the boat ride twice and the banshee ride 3 times.

Now about Avatar 2. The banshee ride isn't long enough to have a plot but it nails the action and wow of the first film. Makes me confident Avatar 2 will be better than the first in these areas.

Also the land is super popular. Boat ride would have a 2 hour line most of the day and the banshee ride would have a 3 hour wait most of the day. Kids were buying Avatar tails and getting their faces painted blue. I'm sure a lot of people only like the ride and are fans of it instead of fans of the film but it's just nice to see that it hasn't become obscure. The next movie isn't fighting an uphill battle.

BananaKing

Man I wish we had awesome theme parks like these here.

But 2.5 hours in a line is crazy. That's waaaay too much.

nnodley

yeah I guess thats why most people will do huge parks like Disney on multiple days.  That way you can still see everything you want.

Legend

Disney has a few places around the world. Paris is kinda close right? /s

Disney in general is just so crowded nowadays and during summer. Lots of rides had 2 hour lines but we avoided them. Disney has a cool fast pass system that allows you to skip the main line 3 times a day. It has to be set up a month in advance though.

yeah I guess thats why most people will do huge parks like Disney on multiple days.  That way you can still see everything you want.
Disney World is 4 parks. Hollywood Studios can be done in half a day but the other 3 all take a full day. Plus Disney World has 2 water parks and extra things like Disney Springs. On top of that, Universal Studios Orlando is just a few miles away. They have 2 parks and 1 water park.

It's like impossible to see everything even if you're there for 7 days.

Also Disney World turns 50 in 3 years. They're building a lot of new things for that and it'll only get worse  :P

nnodley

Disney has a few places around the world. Paris is kinda close right? /s

Disney in general is just so crowded nowadays and during summer. Lots of rides had 2 hour lines but we avoided them. Disney has a cool fast pass system that allows you to skip the main line 3 times a day. It has to be set up a month in advance though.

Disney World is 4 parks. Hollywood Studios can be done in half a day but the other 3 all take a full day. Plus Disney World has 2 water parks and extra things like Disney Springs. On top of that, Universal Studios Orlando is just a few miles away. They have 2 parks and 1 water park.

It's like impossible to see everything even if you're there for 7 days.

Also Disney World turns 50 in 3 years. They're building a lot of new things for that and it'll only get worse  :P
Geez!  My parents are hoping to take my nieces and nephews there soon so hopefully within a couple years I can see it. All I really care to see is Avatar land and then go to universal's harry potter park.  Been to the universal harry potter in japan but i need to see the rides in english.

Legend

AVATAR: FLIGHT OF PASSAGE: A Cinematic, Multi-Sensory 3D Experience that Soars - VFX Voice MagazineVFX Voice Magazine

Cool article about the tech behind the ride and its development. Was rendered at 10k 60fps and has a 160 degree field of view with "omnidirectional" 3D.

Legend

I rewatched Avatar last night.

Was super cool seeing how faithfully they recreated the world in the park. So many plants I assumed were Disney creations were actually in the film. Also Disney even paid attention to location and didn't just copy over everything regardless of biome. Human things were also very accurate and it just made the land feel even more powerful.

I also forgot how much I love the film. The CGI still holds up and some shots still look better than anything made recently. A few shots look a bit average and are closer to modern MCU cgi. Teeth and metal are about the only effects that look dated. The acting and story is still pretty good outside of Sigourney Weaver. The worldbuilding is still so crazy and all the shots are just so dense. I saw a bunch of things I've never noticed before even though this was like my 10th viewing.