Uncharted 4 was a bad uncharted game. Are people ready to admit that?

Started by Legend, Apr 13, 2018, 11:43 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

That dock section just went on forever.

Xevross

Uncharted 4 had some not great pacing towards the end.  Some parts went on for a while.  But even when the pacing was bad, I was still enjoying myself.  It was like "this game should be done right about now, but that's okay".

With 3, there was a huge section of the game where I literally wasn't sure if I wanted to keep going. 
Yeah at least during those bits we still got some good story, or good character interaction (when Elena was around/ the flashbacks).

3 didn't have that during its lows, Nate was alone for way too long.

That dock section just went on forever.
Yeah that was the worst. U4's equivalent worst section, for me, at least had Elena there so there was some chatting/ banter going on and it was fun still.

the-pi-guy

I found 3 to be really great still, it just had some parts that dragged way too long or were super annoying.
I mostly am exaggerating to make my point.  

Uncharted 3 felt like a better game the second time around.  

BananaKing

I think U4 was missing two big action sequences. One around the start, to break up the slower bits until they get to the end of Scotland. One around 3/4 through, so it isn't just the same jungle/ sunken building encounter over and over for like 2 or 3 hours at whatever point that is. That would have fixed two problems.

Man, if it just had something of the quality of the ending action sequence in Lost Legacy it would be up there with U2.
Well I haven't played LL yet so spoiler alert!!

the-pi-guy

Some day, I am going to need to play through the series again.  

Xevross

Well I haven't played LL yet so spoiler alert!!
I didn't say what happens :P

the-pi-guy

I didn't say what happens :P
How is he supposed to know? He blacked out to avoid potential spoilers

Xevross

How is he supposed to know? He blacked out to avoid potential spoilers
Well he doesn't know!

Legend

Apr 14, 2018, 12:45 AM Last Edit: Apr 14, 2018, 12:47 AM by Legend
But why?
The big thing is that it didn't respect the previous games. It retconned things like the brother and Drake's origin. It also changed their personalities and traits to try and fit the new narrative. Nathan Drake was never treasure obsessed and has always been the good guy. In Uncharted 1, Uncharted 2, and Uncharted Golden Abyss he has zero interest in risking people's lives for profit. In all three games he puts others above himself and only keeps fighting because the criminals are a threat to the world. Uncharted 3 mixed this up a bit and made Nate feel obsessive and the whole game was about his friends trying to reign him in. Personally I disliked this but it kinda worked since they had the secret shadow organization that was messing with everyone's heads. It fit the game somewhat and at the very end once again Drake is trying to protect the world. He even loses his ring because it's unimportant compared to saving the life of the evil lady. Meanwhile Uncharted 4 comes along and is like "jk, Uncharted 3 didn't resolve itself and we're actually making that a character trait for Drake." 4 is a full rewrite of his character so that he's once again tempted by treasure. On top of this they make him lie and keep secrets to give the game some tension. Like WTF why would they retire after getting married? That doesn't fit the past games at all.

Also didn't like the lack of a supernatural element like Banana said. That was something that made Uncharted Uncharted and yet they've removed that from the franchise as if they were embarrassed about it. Most of my complaints are about how U4 sucks as an Uncharted game but as its own thing it's also dumb that it teases a big mystery with the pirates and then just says it was greed. Such a stupid let down just to try and make it reflect Nate and Sam.

The gameplay was kinda poor imo but again I'm just focused on how it was bad as an Uncharted game. In that regard the gameplay just felt off. Uncharted Golden Abyss also had a ton of unique mechanics yet that felt perfectly fine as a member of the franchise to me. The environments in U4 were ok but felt off too.

Some day, I am going to need to play through the series again.  
If you have the Uncharted Collection, they definitely still hold up.

I've played every one except U4 at least 5 times. U4 I think I've only done 3 playthroughs. I have the platinum for 3, GA, and 4. Almost have it in 2.

the-pi-guy

I played 2 10 times and have the Platinum.  

Dr. Pezus

Apr 14, 2018, 01:09 AM Last Edit: Apr 14, 2018, 01:12 AM by Dr. Pezus
Uncharted 4 had pacing issues and set piece issues (there were too little) but best gameplay and level design. It also had a great story and enemy. Also the treasures story was by far the best in the series
This. Really enjoyed it. Uncharted 2 probably wins over it for being more surprising at the time though

Seems I can answer the op myself: no they are not ready  ::)

Spoiler for Hidden:
I was stuck in a long car ride today and eventually Uncharted 4 came up. That game legit made me stop caring about the series. Uncharted used to be my favorite franchise of all time. It was so incredibly disappointing.

Why though?

I really liked the driving segments!

Changed this to my order of them.
Blasphemy, GA should be higher!

Uncharted 4 had some not great pacing towards the end.  Some parts went on for a while.  But even when the pacing was bad, I was still enjoying myself.  It was like "this game should be done right about now, but that's okay".

With 3, there was a huge section of the game where I literally wasn't sure if I wanted to keep going.  
Agreed. Never got boring for me though because I was just admiring the vistas and stuff. What a looker!

Kerotan

I played uncharted 1 probably 20 times no joke.

Uncharted 2 probably 10

Uncharted 3 probably 5

Uncharted 4 soon to be twice

Lost legacy 3 times.

Golden abyss once.

Dr. Pezus

I played uncharted 1 probably 20 times no joke.

Uncharted 2 probably 10

Uncharted 3 probably 5

Uncharted 4 soon to be twice

Lost legacy 3 times.

Golden abyss once.
I only played Uncharted 1 more than once. In UC2 I replayed some chapters. After that just once.

Xevross

I barely replay games. Only ND game I've replayed is Uncharted 3. No particular reason for that either.

Actually I could probably make a short list of all the games I've ever replayed the story of.

the-pi-guy

It's okay to be wrong, because you're in good company.
gamrConnect Forums - Feelings about Uncharted 4?

I'm a couple years late to finally playing this game, and I'm sure it's the unpopular opinion, but I really dislike uncharted 4 compared to all the previous installments. Something about it is extremely boring, and the story is beyond predictable. That said I think the action is top notch like always, love getting into the shootouts, but even still those moments weren't as intense as the other, and the puzzles were extremely lacking. Uncharted 3 still stands as my favorite, and it feels like the series should have stopped there.

I'll be digging into the Lost Legacy next, i heard good things from friends.

Any of you come away disappointed with U4?

Go Up