Say Anything About The Game You're Currently Playing...

Started by ethomaz, Jun 05, 2014, 03:13 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

Finished The Room Two. Big improvement over the first, I liked it a lot.

SWORDF1SH

Finished The Room Two. Big improvement over the first, I liked it a lot.
Here are my thoughts from when I played The Room games.
Played all 4 on The Room games and each felt unique. The first 2 were more about finding hidden switches and latches on containers (puzzle boxes) while the last 2 evolved into solving whole rooms rather than just boxes. It felt like each game improved with the series although you might be disappointed if you prefer the puzzle boxes but the dollhouse of the final game was the most rounded and most fun imo.

Also playing Gedonia because I felt like playing a simple old school RPG. Played a few hours and it's seems OK. Not played many RPGs so don't know how it compares but it's fun while also buggy.
I would say the first one is more "eye spy" while the following 3 are a mixture of both "eye spy" and logic.

kitler53

i've only play the room 1 but after playing it i bought the 2-4.   

i'm currently playing a monster's expedition.

i'm probably about half way though but this might be my favorite puzzle game since fez.  certainly a top 5 overall.   game seems soo simple at the surfce:
- push logs around
- cross to the next island

...but it's got a ton of depth.   
1. it's not linear.   i've definitely gotten blocked by an island i can't figure out but there is always an alternative path to follow
2. it's got a great balance of difficulties.   it's not just getting harder as you go.   some islands are really easy and others not so much.   this back-and-forth keeps the game refreshing.
3. unlike most puzzle games these days it doesn't just introduce a mechanic and play with it for 10 levels then abandon it.  things are introduced and explorered and then remixed with prior ideas.
4. there is a surprising amount of depth and nuance around pushing a lot.   the size, orientation, and interaction with other elements has a surprisingly large number of interactions and outcomes to consider

BUT,.. and this is the most important part for me:

5. it can be quite difficult to even know what puzzle you are even trying to solve.

this is soo critical to my enjoyment.   puzzle games really always loudly broadcast the goal and leave it to you to figure out how to do it.   that's not so true here.   yes the overall goal is obvious,.. get to the next island.   but most islands i look at i can devise at least 2-3 possible final outcomes that will get me there.   so then i find myself trying to solve for a solution they simply may not be possible.   some of the most joyful wins is when i though i had 2 possible outcomes to solve an island only to find there was a totally bonkers 3rd way i had no idea was even possible but became so obvious once i found it.

i'm soo obsessed with this game right now.   it's been a long time since a game had me this engaged with it.  

11/10

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Here are my thoughts from when I played The Room games.
I finished The Room Three. I liked the second game better since it had better puzzles, but the third game was great at being more like a myst game. Pretty crazy how much the production value increases with each one.

The multiple endings were nice but most of the difficulty in the game was just from not seeing things. I got the third ending, then the first, and then spent ages until I noticed a tiny secret behind something that was already solved.

i'm soo obsessed with this game right now.   it's been a long time since a game had me this engaged with it.  

11/10
I don't think of myself as a fan of sokoban games but Monster's Expedition was great.

My only annoyances came from after I finished it and was going for 100% completion. I started to really hate the fog.

Legend

I'm playing zelda tears of the kingdom.

It kinda sucks compared to breath of the wild, but it's still pretty fun. Really feels like DLC or a fan mod since it's all over the place.

SWORDF1SH

It sucks that the developers of Islands of Insight have given up on it. It wasn't perfect but absolutely loved the concept, a concept which probably won't be done again by anybody and a slim to no chance the developers reverse their decision to right Islands of Insight off and develop this game into something special.

Did the developers right this game off to early?  They literally gave up on it a month into launch. A huge project that took years to make just abandoned. It's set up like a live service game so it's not like it's dead in the water. Live service game can take a while to build up users and with constant updates you can improve the game, bring in new player while keeping existing players engaged.  
This game had so much potential!
Still playing it. About 90 hours in and still stuff I want to do.

Legend

It sucks that the developers of Islands of Insight have given up on it. It wasn't perfect but absolutely loved the concept, a concept which probably won't be done again by anybody and a slim to no chance the developers reverse their decision to right Islands of Insight off and develop this game into something special.

Did the developers right this game off to early?  They literally gave up on it a month into launch. A huge project that took years to make just abandoned. It's set up like a live service game so it's not like it's dead in the water. Live service game can take a while to build up users and with constant updates you can improve the game, bring in new player while keeping existing players engaged.  
This game had so much potential!
Still playing it. About 90 hours in and still stuff I want to do.
Wow 90 hours? And this is a puzzle game?

SWORDF1SH

Wow 90 hours? And this is a puzzle game?
Yes, it's a decent sized open world and the puzzle types are repeated a lot. I'd say the main puzzle type is a grid based puzzle that you fill in with black and white square but the grid puzzles come in different variations with a variation of rules.
I'd say there are about 15 puzzle types, each repeated hundreds of times throughout the world a few having variations. There are logic puzzles like the grid based game, speed puzzles like glass mazes and visual/hidden objects puzzles.
Definitely not a game for everybody and definitely not perfect (especially the skill tree/upgrades) but it's a shame they are using this as a platform to build from. Also the name 'Islands of Insight' sucks  ;D

Legend

Yes, it's a decent sized open world and the puzzle types are repeated a lot. I'd say the main puzzle type is a grid based puzzle that you fill in with black and white square but the grid puzzles come in different variations with a variation of rules.
I'd say there are about 15 puzzle types, each repeated hundreds of times throughout the world a few having variations. There are logic puzzles like the grid based game, speed puzzles like glass mazes and visual/hidden objects puzzles.
Definitely not a game for everybody and definitely not perfect (especially the skill tree/upgrades) but it's a shame they are using this as a platform to build from. Also the name 'Islands of Insight' sucks  ;D
I don't mind the name. It's at least better than superland or whatever that game is.

Go Up