100/100. Which Games Deserve the Perfect Score?

Started by Xevross, Apr 18, 2018, 11:37 PM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

The simple question is: if you were to rate every game you ever played on a 100 point scale, what games would you give the perfect 10.0, or 100 to?

I was thinking about this, as I have my own rating system. The only two games I'd put up there are Breath of the Wild and The Last of Us. I'm wondering if I'm being harsh with only giving two games that, or if others would reserved the high spot for only one or two games as well.

There's plenty I'd put in the 95-99 range, but differentiating between high 90s and 100 is quite difficult. Any thoughts?

BananaKing

The Witcher 3
Red Dead Redemption
The Last of Us
God of War 2
Super Mario 64

No other game deserves the 10 other than these.

Legend

I don't think I've ever played a perfect game, so none.

Xevross

The Witcher 3
Red Dead Redemption
The Last of Us
God of War 2
Super Mario 64

No other game deserves the 10 other than these.
Good picks. I'm kinda sad I missed so many classics like Mario 64 and GoW2. They're the kind of games I want to go back and play, but since I'm used to modern game mechanics they probably wouldn't feel like 10/10 material for me. Its kinda hard to put myself back and try to judge games as if I'm back in that year.

That's an interesting part of the debate. I haven't played a perfect game either, but then again I don't think I ever will. So do you just let full marks go unused? Games like TLOU and BOTW are so close to perfect for me, that I think they deserve to get it, despite me knowing ways I'd improve both of them.

Legend

Good picks. I'm kinda sad I missed so many classics like Mario 64 and GoW2. They're the kind of games I want to go back and play, but since I'm used to modern game mechanics they probably wouldn't feel like 10/10 material for me. Its kinda hard to put myself back and try to judge games as if I'm back in that year.
I played Mario 64 on the DS and it was still incredibly good ~10 years ago. Probably still good now.

I played GOW2 from the PS3 remaster ~5 years ago and it was still great.

Xevross

I played Mario 64 on the DS and it was still incredibly good ~10 years ago. Probably still good now.

I played GOW2 from the PS3 remaster ~5 years ago and it was still great.
I need to make a list of very highly regarded old classics to get around to playing, I missed too much before this gen. GoW2 is definitely on there.

Legend

I need to make a list of very highly regarded old classics to get around to playing, I missed too much before this gen. GoW2 is definitely on there.
After botw, I want to go back and play some old zeldas.

BananaKing

Mario 64 still plays really good. But it loses a lot of its magic now that you're used to modern games.

The levels that at the time seemed huge and endless would feel extremely small now. The graphics which at the time were awesome would not have anywhere near the same affect they had back then. Which made you feel sucked in into the world.

Back when I was a kid I used to see the levels as huge, the world's alive, and used to feel and imagine a each world had its own culture and so on. Now it would really feel like a very simple game with responsive platforming.

Games still make me feel that way but they need a lot of depth like the Witcher 3 or red dead redemption for example.

Xevross

After botw, I want to go back and play some old zeldas.
I also want to do this. What are the best ones to play, that would still hold up to modern standards?

Mario 64 still plays really good. But it loses a lot of its magic now that you're used to modern games.

The levels that at the time seemed huge and endless would feel extremely small now. The graphics which at the time were awesome would not have anywhere near the same affect they had back then. Which made you feel sucked in into the world.

Back when I was a kid I used to see the levels as huge, the world's alive, and used to feel and imagine a each world had its own culture and so on. Now it would really feel like a very simple game with responsive platforming.

Games still make me feel that way but they need a lot of depth like the Witcher 3 or red dead redemption for example.
Yeah that's the issue. I missed that magic feeling.

Its a shame I didn't get more into quality games like that when I was a kid. The vast majority of my gaming experience was shovelware (like film tie ins) or games like fifa. Probably my only experiences like this are Super Mario Galaxy, and Pokemon Diamond (the first one I played). I wouldn't rate though quite as highly though, I just loved them :D

the-pi-guy

Uncharted 2 was perfect.  100/100 for me.  

Other games that were basically perfect (in my biased eyes)
-Super Mario RPG
-The Last of Us

And idk maybe I could name some others.  

Dr. Pezus

This

Xevross

Uncharted 2 was perfect.  100/100 for me.  

Other games that were basically perfect (in my biased eyes)
-Super Mario RPG
-The Last of Us

And idk maybe I could name some others.  
Basically perfect? So only 99/100? :P

Uncharted 2 is a weird one for me. I can't think of many ways to improve it/ many cons for it, but it still falls quite short of 100 for me. I guess I just didn't get that "I'm playing a masterpiece" feeling from it.

the-pi-guy

Basically perfect? So only 99/100? :P

Uncharted 2 is a weird one for me. I can't think of many ways to improve it/ many cons for it, but it still falls quite short of 100 for me. I guess I just didn't get that "I'm playing a masterpiece" feeling from it.
Basically perfect=the game isn't really flawless, but i'd give it a perfect score.  

I just freaking love Uncharted 2.  I played through it 10 times start to finish.  

Xevross

Apr 23, 2018, 03:31 PM Last Edit: Apr 23, 2018, 03:34 PM by Xevross
God of War has made me reflect on this further. And its made me realise this is even more complicated than I first thought.

I was thinking about GoW vs. TLOU. I think both of them are incredible games. GoW is better than TLOU in a large number of ways for me like level design, combat, dialogue, amount of content. TLOU is only better than GoW for story/ narrative I think. Yet I wouldn't sat TLOU is worse, because it had a massive impact on me, and the story was just dang incredible.

Also GoW has a couple clear areas I'd improve (like boss fights), whereas I don't think I'd want to change TLOU in any way. I don't see how you could improve TLOU for what it is. The Last of Us is closer to perfection for the type of game it set out to be, but I like the style of game of GoW more and hence I like GoW more. (This is mainly action vs. stealth combat, I greatly prefer action). plus you add in that GoW is at least 3x more content than TLOU single player, and which do you score better?

I'd probably score them about the same. But scores definitely don't tell the full picture.

TL:DR The Last of Us is closer to perfection than Gow but I still like GoW more, how do scores reflect that?

the-pi-guy

I'd probably score them about the same. But scores definitely don't tell the full picture.
TL:DR The Last of Us is closer to perfection than Gow but I still like GoW more, how do scores reflect that?
It's difficult because there are different types of games.  
Even ignoring different genres and just considering the same genre, different games are going for different things.  Like two games might even be pretty similar, but one might be implementing more stealth systems or something.  And it might be great for the one game, but it's not something you'd wish in the other game.
Does that mean one is a better game?