Apparently some people are here (talking about the dress)

Started by Legend, Feb 27, 2015, 06:22 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Dr. Pezus

Wait, now it seems blue and goldish-black lol. Wat

Dr. Pezus

I tihnk its because our eyes try to remove the chromatic bias caused by the sunlight.   the bright sun is shining blue and white light down, so our eyes tries to remove one or the other, leading to some who see white, and some who see blue.
But if you remove white you see nothing/black lulz

Legend

Basically the picture is an optical illusion that causes people to see the dress as gold and white. However because this illusion is the opposite of what kitler posted above, it's not as fool proof. So 70% of the time the optical illusion works, and 30% of the time it doesn't.

Dr. Pezus

DD_Bwest

Feb 27, 2015, 05:02 PM Last Edit: Feb 27, 2015, 05:04 PM by DD_Bwest

But if you remove white you see nothing/black lulz
sorry  its blue and gold light from the sun, not blue and white lol     your eyes either discount the blue sunlight, leading you to see white,  Or it Discounts the gold and you see the proper blue. 

edit:  I am actually able to see both depending on how i focus on the image lol

Dr. Pezus

sorry  its blue and gold light from the sun, not blue and white lol     your eyes either discount the blue sunlight, leading you to see white,  Or it Discounts the gold and you see the proper blue. 
gold light???

DD_Bwest

gold light???
ha i didnt even notice someone had posted a link up.   I had heard someone mention the explanation so i guess they got it from that site

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/science-one-agrees-color-dress/

"Light enters the eye through the lens--different wavelengths corresponding to different colors. The light hits the retina in the back of the eye where pigments fire up neural connections to the visual cortex, the part of the brain that processes those signals into an image. Critically, though, that first burst of light is made of whatever wavelengths are illuminating the world, reflecting off whatever you're looking at. Without you having to worry about it, your brain figures out what color light is bouncing off the thing your eyes are looking at, and essentially subtracts that color from the "real" color of the object. "Our visual system is supposed to throw away information about the illuminant and extract information about the actual reflectance," says Jay Neitz, a neuroscientist at the University of Washington. "But I've studied individual differences in color vision for 30 years, and this is one of the biggest individual differences I've ever seen." (Neitz sees white-and-gold.)

Usually that system works just fine. This image, though, hits some kind of perceptual boundary. That might be because of how people are wired. Human beings evolved to see in daylight, but daylight changes color. That chromatic axis varies from the pinkish red of dawn, up through the blue-white of noontime, and then back down to reddish twilight. "What's happening here is your visual system is looking at this thing, and you're trying to discount the chromatic bias of the daylight axis," says Bevil Conway, a neuroscientist who studies color and vision at Wellesley College. "So people either discount the blue side, in which case they end up seeing white and gold, or discount the gold side, in which case they end up with blue and black.""

Dr. Pezus

"Neitz sees white-and-gold"

It's official

DD_Bwest

"Neitz sees white-and-gold"

It's official
i should have copied the next few words. lol (conway sees blue and orange, somehow)

DD_Bwest

Xevross

White and gold! Some pictures look black and blue but the lighting on that one makes it looks white and gold

Xevross

Am I the only one who loves this?

Dr. Pezus

Now I repeatedly see blue and black here

the-pi-guy

Dr. Pezus

Go Up