Which will release first: ps5 or xbox 4?

Started by Legend, Jan 31, 2017, 04:44 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Microsoft really benefited from the 360 releasing a year early. Do you think they will target that again, or will something else happen?

nnodley

At this point I think Sony will always be a year ahead.  Unless scorpio bombs and MS rushes out a "new gen" to get ahead.   I'm seeing xbox 4 being 2021 and ps5 being 2020.

Max King of the Wild

Ps5 because there will be no nextbox (ohhhhhhsnap)

Legend

Ps5 because there will be no nextbox (ohhhhhhsnap)

kitler53

ps5.   ps5 will be out in 2018 probably.  

xbox can't release scorpio and then replace it 2 years later.  so the real gamble is whether or not scorpio is marketed as an xbox 4 (new gen) or a ps4 pro (mid gen refresh).  i don't think ms is brave enough or has enough 1st party to try and market scorpio as a next gen console.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Aura7541

The PS5 will come out before the Scorpio successor (if there will be one). However, I think the PS5 won't come out until 2020 because Sony may want it to use 7nm.

Kerotan

I think ps4 in 2020 and xbox two 6 months to 12 months later.

nnodley

ps5.   ps5 will be out in 2018 probably.  

xbox can't release scorpio and then replace it 2 years later.  so the real gamble is whether or not scorpio is marketed as an xbox 4 (new gen) or a ps4 pro (mid gen refresh).  i don't think ms is brave enough or has enough 1st party to try and market scorpio as a next gen console.
So you think sony can release pro and then release ps5 2 years later, but MS couldn't do the same?  PS5 is no earlier than holiday 2019 at the absolute earliest.  Holiday 2020 is the safest bet.  7-8 year ps4 cycle and 3-4 years after Pro.

kitler53

So you think sony can release pro and then release ps5 2 years later, but MS couldn't do the same?  PS5 is no earlier than holiday 2019 at the absolute earliest.  Holiday 2020 is the safest bet.  7-8 year ps4 cycle and 3-4 years after Pro.
math fail.  3 years between iteration.  6 year gen.  2019.

nnodley

math fail.  3 years between iteration.  6 year gen.  2019.
Yeah I was like that can't be right.  But yeah it could happen in 2019 for sure.  I hope it's 2020 though so we can get some even stronger hardware.  

Xevross

Scorpio is one year later and more powerful, so MS will be reluctant to replace it with any haste. That is, unless it does really badly and they want to start fresh.

I think PS5 will come out holiday 2019 or 2020 and Nextbox comes out 2020 or 2021. So I'd say PS5 is much more likely to come first.

kitler53

Scorpio is one year later and more powerful, so MS will be reluctant to replace it with any haste. That is, unless it does really badly and they want to start fresh.

I think PS5 will come out holiday 2019 or 2020 and Nextbox comes out 2020 or 2021. So I'd say PS5 is much more likely to come first.
scorpio is looking to be powerful enough that if sony's ps5 comes soon after i could see ms just doing a 180 on the "all games must support xbox one" policy and allow developers to make exclusives.

i still don't get what ms's plan is with scorpio.  it's pretty late and too powerful to follow sony's ps4 pro plan.  it's quite early and kind of weak to be a full on next gen console.  i think they just didn't see the ps4 pro coming,.. scrambled to have a response to it,.. rushed out a ill-thought out E3 reveal,.. and now will have to pay the price on that announcement.

if the rumor of scorpio getting delayed are true i think ms would be better off just canceling "scorpio" and just releasing holiday 2017 with a bit more power and market it as a next gen console.

Xevross

scorpio is looking to be powerful enough that if sony's ps5 comes soon after i could see ms just doing a 180 on the "all games must support xbox one" policy and allow developers to make exclusives.

i still don't get what ms's plan is with scorpio.  it's pretty late and too powerful to follow sony's ps4 pro plan.  it's quite early and kind of weak to be a full on next gen console.  i think they just didn't see the ps4 pro coming,.. scrambled to have a response to it,.. rushed out a ill-thought out E3 reveal,.. and now will have to pay the price on that announcement.

if the rumor of scorpio getting delayed are true i think ms would be better off just canceling "scorpio" and just releasing holiday 2017 with a bit more power and market it as a next gen console.
Yeah I have no idea what they are thinking. Scorpio just doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. If they want to stick to the "no one gets left behind" then there's no point in it being so powerful.

darkknightkryta

Weren't PS console launches on a linear trend?  I mean, I'm not sure if it was on purpose, but I wouldn't be surprised if the PS5 launches 8 years after the PS4 (So about another 4 years).  Though, they're reaching the limit of processing power, and while there are far more powerful video cards than what even the Scorpio is going to be, it'll be longer until they become cost effective.  I wouldn't be surprised if the console launches eventually get to the 10 year apart mark.  No idea what Microsoft is planning, competency hasn't been their main point recently.