Which studio/game will Microsoft cancel next?

Started by Legend, Mar 07, 2016, 05:17 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

The OP says closure was proposed.  
Maybe they will be spun off?  

That's pretty much how I see it going, either just shut down or spun off.  
In the UK you can't just shut down and fire everyone. You need a 30 day proposal period to explain why the shut down is needed.

Lionhead is shuttered  :(

the-pi-guy

In the UK you can't just shut down and fire everyone. You need a 30 day proposal period to explain why the shut down is needed.
Lionhead is shuttered  :(
You gotta be optimistic though!  Even to the point that it doesn't any sense to be optimistic.  

BananaKing

Rare will most likely be next. Sea of Thieves looks horrible, and i predict it will flop big time. and after that i think MS might Axe them.

i feel MS hasnt Axed them yet because they are afraid of the backlash and bad PR, basically they spent 370 million on them, and they were one of the best devs in the world, if they close them, that would mean it was a horrible business decision. of course, this is just speculation on my part. but i think with the direction MS is headed, if you dont have a hit on your hands to work on, then you wont work at all. if Sea of Thieves isnt profitable, i fully expect them to end rares (rather miserable) life.

Raven

Rare will most likely be next. Sea of Thieves looks horrible, and i predict it will flop big time. and after that i think MS might Axe them.

i feel MS hasnt Axed them yet because they are afraid of the backlash and bad PR, basically they spent 370 million on them, and they were one of the best devs in the world, if they close them, that would mean it was a horrible business decision. of course, this is just speculation on my part. but i think with the direction MS is headed, if you dont have a hit on your hands to work on, then you wont work at all. if Sea of Thieves isnt profitable, i fully expect them to end rares (rather miserable) life.
It may come even sooner than the launch of the game, as we saw with Fable Legends. There was just not any good word on that game. No one talked about it. There were hardly any media that cared to report on the game and outside of the usual suspects who praise everything Microsoft does, I didn't hear anyone talking about it. If Sea of Thieves gets hands-on time and no one cares, Microsoft will probably axe Rare and the game. Not even bother going through the motions of releasing it.

Hell, for all we know Rare is already screwed. We're just now finding out that some studios we thought definitely existed had already been shut down and no one said a word. Rare is a bigger deal, sure, but that doesn't mean the wheels haven't already been put in motion. Team Dakota was ripped down to a skeleton crew not long after Project Spark released. Even if Rare stays open, I fully expect to hear about layoffs. I'll go even further and guess that the only reason they haven't actually shut Rare down right now is because they knew they were already going to make waves with Lionhead's closure. Don't want to publicly axe multiple big studios too early and make it super obvious you're giving up.

BananaKing

It may come even sooner than the launch of the game, as we saw with Fable Legends. There was just not any good word on that game. No one talked about it. There were hardly any media that cared to report on the game and outside of the usual suspects who praise everything Microsoft does, I didn't hear anyone talking about it. If Sea of Thieves gets hands-on time and no one cares, Microsoft will probably axe Rare and the game. Not even bother going through the motions of releasing it.

Hell, for all we know Rare is already screwed. We're just now finding out that some studios we thought definitely existed had already been shut down and no one said a word. Rare is a bigger deal, sure, but that doesn't mean the wheels haven't already been put in motion. Team Dakota was ripped down to a skeleton crew not long after Project Spark released. Even if Rare stays open, I fully expect to hear about layoffs. I'll go even further and guess that the only reason they haven't actually shut Rare down right now is because they knew they were already going to make waves with Lionhead's closure. Don't want to publicly axe multiple big studios too early and make it super obvious you're giving up.
i think they already accepted "defeat", no matter what they do PS4 will sell more than them in pretty much every country, so they seem to be phil said they would do, concentrate on profits. they are basically slimming down the XB1 first party to sure title hits, and focusing their efforts  to create new IP's and other exclusives with second party.

in the case of rare, i doubt they will can it, not when E3 is coming up, and they need a "new first party IP" to show. and its still rather early in development, it would be stupid to cancel it before letting the people try it out and see it, unless it sucks big time. but you might be right, Rare might be already screwed and we dont know it yet.

i do have a question, that i already know the answer too, but i want to bring it up anyways. E3 2013 Microsoft said it has 5 new studios to create the next big franchises on Xbox. where the fudge are they?

the-pi-guy

Hell, for all we know Rare is already screwed.
Yep.  Rare might not even exist.  

i do have a question, that i already know the answer too, but i want to bring it up anyways. E3 2013 Microsoft said it has 5 new studios to create the next big franchises on Xbox. where the fudge are they?
Well, we got our answer to that just yesterday.  
The scientific term is they went poof.  

Legend

kitler53

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Go Up