Which studio will Sony buy next?

Started by Legend, Feb 05, 2015, 08:49 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

Lots of rumors about Sony buying RAD if the order is good. Also many believe Sony will buy Quantic Dream.

What do you think? Will Sony buy one of these two next, or maybe something else.

I believe they'll buy Tarsier or someone small like that. With the success of the PS4, we know both RAD and QD are going to stay exclusive for at least their next game. Imo it makes more sense to buy someone that could switch over. Hence Tarsier, or maybe That Game Company. Could even be the devs of No Man's Sky. Hbu?

BananaKing

Lots of rumors about Sony buying RAD if the order is good. Also many believe Sony will buy Quantic Dream.

What do you think? Will Sony buy one of these two next, or maybe something else.

I believe they'll buy Tarsier or someone small like that. With the success of the PS4, we know both RAD and QD are going to stay exclusive for at least their next game. Imo it makes more sense to buy someone that could switch over. Hence Tarsier, or maybe That Game Company. Could even be the devs of No Man's Sky. Hbu?

they will probably wait until they grow and become AAA devs and prove them selfs before buying them. thats if they want to buy them that is.

Rorono

Depends on what their current contract with RAD is. One thing to also take into account is that waiting could lead it to being more expensive to acquire in the future, due to The Order becoming a multi-million seller (specially sequels). Andrea has called himself a "PS fanboy" but that doesn't necessarily mean Sony has nothing to worry about where RAD goes in the future..you never know, money is money.

But I think the best part about buying RAD would be their tech. Their engine just looks mindblowing... to see it shared among more Sony studios would be drool worthy. Right now it belongs solely to RAD

BananaKing

Depends on what their current contract with RAD is. One thing to also take into account is that waiting could lead it to being more expensive to acquire in the future, due to The Order becoming a multi-million seller (specially sequels). Andrea has called himself a "PS fanboy" but that doesn't necessarily mean Sony has nothing to worry about where RAD goes in the future..you never know, money is money.

But I think the best part about buying RAD would be their tech. Their engine just looks mindblowing... to see it shared among more Sony studios would be drool worthy. Right now it belongs solely to RAD

the big studios like ND, GG, SSM and sucker punch use their own engine. and usually technology is shared among these developers with tips and tricks given out. also, remember, that SSM is also working on the game, so they already probably have access to their engine and tech and helped develop a great deal of it.

Dr. Pezus

I think they'll probably buy an indie tbh. DayZ dev?

Max King of the Wild

Raven

Vizioneck

Become a member of his team while you can! We could all be employed by Sony tomorrow!

...and then get laid off!

Max King of the Wild

Okay seriously,  after disappointing Sunset Overdrive sales, Insomniac Games is done with their multiplat trial adventure and Sony will buy them and give them Sly and Ratchet IPs.

Legend

Okay seriously,  after disappointing Sunset Overdrive sales, Insomniac Games is done with their multiplat trial adventure and Sony will buy them and give them Sly and Ratchet IPs.

Lol I don't think their situation is that bad, but it could be a smart buy. The studio would be much cheaper today than down the road.

kitler53

ready at dawn makes sense
quantic dream makes sense
that game company makes sense
q-games (pixeljunk and tomorrow the children) makes sense
housemarque (resogun, aliennation, dead nation) makes sense

each of these devs have had a pretty close relationship to sony lately.   

personally i'd like to see q-games be bought cause i really like their games and as of now they still have a decent amount of work on other systems.   i'd love to have them fully dedicated to playstation so i could get even more games from them.  xD

that game company is a bit of a risk imo.   they are kind of like the ico team,.. great games but they don't seem to be able to keep to a schedule based on journey bankrupting them.  i guess maybe if they were part of sony they could move faster but i dunno. 

i didn't particularly care for housemarque last gen but resogun was great and aliennation looks great too.

RaD and QD obviously make the biggest (AAA) games so there is list war appeal to them.  i'm not sure what else i'd get out of that deal though as their games are already top notch.

^^
insomniac was disappointing.  i loved them when all they did was R&C and i'm always in the mood for more R&C but all their other efforts have been quite disappointing.  i expected more from them.  i'd like to see something other than R&C from them but i think they got pushed around with FUSE (the original vision looked way better imo) and i just dunno what to think about SO.  there is talent there but it seems like they need some strong leadership too.  maybe under sony they could return to greatness.  i just don't know.

sly is a terrible series and needs to die however.  tried playing 4 and the formula is just too dated.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Max King of the Wild

The formula for sly maybe dated but you have to admit there is personality in the environment and characters sucker punch created. With insomniacs talent with that type of personality and platforming they could make a successful reboot.

kitler53

The formula for sly maybe dated but you have to admit there is personality in the environment and characters sucker punch created. With insomniacs talent with that type of personality and platforming they could make a successful reboot.

actually i don't have to admit that.   i like sly.  maybe carmalita.  dislike bently.   fudgy hate "the murray". 

more importantly playing as bently and the murray is terrible, horrible gameplay.  they need to die in a fudgy fire then maybe i'd give it another chance.  be more like the current batman game where you just play as sly in a big environment and bently is at most just some dude on the other end of the radio and the murray is just a name on a gravestone.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Riderz1337

Ready at Dawn or Quantic Dream

I feel like they would have bought QD if Beyond had performed a bit better and now if The Order performs well I think they will purchase RAD first
Legend made me remove this. Everybody riot.

Raven

If The Order does well I fully expect Sony to make Ready At Dawn some good offers. David Cage already said a long time ago that he'd be interested in having Quantic Dream bought but that for the time being he was happy with the current arrangements. I actually expect an announcement of Sony buying them long before RAD. Insomniac might change their tune about being purchased since they still haven't recovered from their downward slide. Fuse was a disaster and Sunset Overdrive didn't sell all that well considering the marketing behind it. They're not in a terrible position yet but they may look to sell out while they still have bargaining power. I expect Sony to purchase smaller studios in the near term. Housemarque and Q-Games wouldn't surprise me.

Rorono

The thing about Beyond's performance and The order doing better than it is that:

a) Sony will be more interested in RAD
b) RAD will be more expensive
c) Sony will be less interested in QD
d) QD will be more interested in financial support than RAD, thus more willing to be bought
e) QD would be "cheaper"
f) Thus QD might actually come first.

Or maybe i'm overthinking it.

Go Up