Microsoft To Unveil Windows 9 Threshold This Tuesday, 9/30

Started by 7H3, Sep 26, 2014, 06:47 PM

previous topic - next topic

7H3

http://hothardware.com/News/Microsoft-To-Unveil-Windows-9-Threshold-This-Tuesday-930/
It feels like just yesterday that we were investigating the ins and outs of Windows 8, and already, enough time has passed that a new version of Microsoft's flagship desktop/laptop operating system is imminent. Windows 9, code-named Threshold, may end up dropping the number on its end altogether. At this point, Windows itself is a pretty powerful brand, and some analysts think that Microsoft may allow it to stand on its own when it's released to the public "early next year."

The name change also highlights Microsoft's acceptance of the fact that we're truly living in a post-PC world. As mobile and computing fuses together, we're likely to see the "Phone" dropped from "Windows Phone" and the numbers dropped from "Windows." It's quite possible that one Windows could be built to serve all of Microsoft's various platforms, using the lessons from its Windows RT misstep as guidance.
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Legend

BasilZero

Remember, every other OS that MS makes becomes a hit - Win8 so far has continued the disapproval since Vista so......9 is gonna be godtier like 7.

!!!!!!

(I hope to not be disappointed)

7H3

too soon after 8 I expect a repeat and will wait for windows 10 or just switch to ubuntu

kitler53

i'm not expecting good things.   i am expecting kowen to bite the head off of anyone that has any opinion other than sheer adoration for microsoft.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Shinobi-san

If Windows 9 manages to get the balance right between desktop and mobile then it could be a massive hit for MS.

I feel that the current Windows Phone OS wont become too popular...ever. I think its already proven that the majority of people prefer the Apple/Android approach. I also think Windows 8 has had a negative impact on the brand of Windows. If they can fix both issues with Windows 9 then great!
Vizioneck STILL not banned at my workplace \O/

Dr. Pezus

The problem is that I see no reason to upgrade from 7. Especially not if it's mobilified or something

7H3

The problem is that I see no reason to upgrade from 7. Especially not if it's mobilified or something

exactly how I feel... windows 8 (metro) makes no sense or purpose for my desktop PC and would only be a nuisance

darkknightkryta

As notes in my GUI class said "It takes Microsoft 3 tries of anything to get it right"  Windows 10 will be awesome.

Mmm_fish_tacos

If what they say are true and they are still keeping the dang metro lay out it will not be any better for me than 8, no matter how efficient it runs. I never want a metro style OS on my pc. MS needs to get off this one size fits all crud, it doesn't work.

Xevross

As notes in my GUI class said "It takes Microsoft 3 tries of anything to get it right"  Windows 10 will be awesome.

Xbox One proves this wrong

Mmm_fish_tacos

lol. Well they are updating it every month. So maybe in 3 years it will be awesome!

7H3

I think the GUI on xbox one might be the best console gui yet

the-pi-guy

I'm hoping it's more like 7 than 8. 

BananaKing

i hope its an OS focused at desktop and laptop use rather than how W8 had a lot focus on tablets it seemed, or at least that how it looked like.