Do story tellers need to tell you everything?

Started by the-pi-guy, Apr 13, 2018, 01:54 AM

previous topic - next topic

Dr. Pezus

We're talking about a story that doesn't tell you things.  
Like you can get to the end of the book and not even realize that there was a story.  
Well if it doesn't tell you things how can you know anything? All it is is a different way to describe the story I guess

the-pi-guy

Well if it doesn't tell you things how can you know anything?
We were talking about Bloodborne.  You can easily finish that without realizing that there's a fairly convoluted history.
But you can collect all the notes, and the couple of vague cut scenes, etc; and you can put it all together.

Legend

Well if it doesn't tell you things how can you know anything? All it is is a different way to describe the story I guess
Exactly!

A book literally needs to tell you things for them to "exist." If for example the author is describing a room, they will describe the general feeling and maybe some details. A game however needs to show every little detail of that room no matter what since it's an interactive environment. Thus it's possible for the game to have a poster on the wall that might become important later without the player thinking "why is the author going into such detail explaining this poster? It must be important."

Dr. Pezus

Exactly!

A book literally needs to tell you things for them to "exist." If for example the author is describing a room, they will describe the general feeling and maybe some details. A game however needs to show every little detail of that room no matter what since it's an interactive environment. Thus it's possible for the game to have a poster on the wall that might become important later without the player thinking "why is the author going into such detail explaining this poster? It must be important."

True enough. I still think books can almost achieve the same by being narrated by a blinded protagonist

Go Up