Falcon Heavy Launch Thread!!! Mission success

Started by Legend, Dec 20, 2017, 02:39 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

Legend

It's so fun to see this non cgi for the first time!!!

DD_Bwest

Legend

DD_Bwest

stupid politics screwing things up.

gov shutdown means no static fire.   :(

Legend

Falcon Heavy is always 6 months away, even if delaying it requires the shut down of America  :P

Legend

Legend

Legend

Closest the static fire has ever been.

Legend

DD_Bwest

just saw this on nsf .. omfg its finally alive.    

its really happening

looks like it was the full duration.

i remember hearing they want 2 weeks before launch after the test.  hope they can get that in before the 8th

Legend

just saw this on nsf .. omfg its finally alive.    

its really happening

looks like it was the full duration.

i remember hearing they want 2 weeks before launch after the test.  hope they can get that in before the 8th
If data looks good, Feb 6th is the supposed date.

I just happened to be home at the time and got to watch it live on stream. Was so nervous it'd explode or RUD in some way  :P

Xevross

Legend

Is the falcon heavy going to be used alongside the BFR?
No. BFR will be cheaper per launch since it's fully reusable so both Falcon 9 and heavy will be retired as fast as possible. A few launches might happen after BFR's maiden flight but they'll have stopped production by that point.

It's kinda funny that it'll be the strongest rocket operating yet everyone is ready to move on to its replacement.

Xevross

No. BFR will be cheaper per launch since it's fully reusable so both Falcon 9 and heavy will be retired as fast as possible. A few launches might happen after BFR's maiden flight but they'll have stopped production by that point.

It's kinda funny that it'll be the strongest rocket operating yet everyone is ready to move on to its replacement.
Yeah I thought it was kind of weird that there's this much buzz about a new falcon heavy when its going to be replaced so soon. Why are they doing this?

Legend

Yeah I thought it was kind of weird that there's this much buzz about a new falcon heavy when its going to be replaced so soon. Why are they doing this?
Falcon Heavy was supposed to first launch in like 2013 but it's been delayed a heck of a lot. Sticking 3 cores together was supposed to be a cheap way to get better performance but instead it took just as much work as designing a rocket from scratch.

At this point it'd be pretty stupid to scrapp it since almost all the work is over and it should make some money.

Go Up