Have you heard of Aldi's?

Started by the-pi-guy, Jul 13, 2017, 06:44 PM

previous topic - next topic

DerNebel

The one in town near me usually doesn't have any alcohol at all, while the other few I've been at, had a fairly reasonable alcohol section.  
Usually wine though, I think.

Not much of an alcohol drinker, but it was weird how big of a difference there was between the stores.  
They are pretty similar across the board in Germany, there's a difference between northern and southern Germany but that's about it, and they just have a terrible beer selection. Aldi in general doesn't carry many known brands, most of what they sell are their own brands.

Xevross

Their beer selection is awful, which makes them a no go for me.
Spoken like a true alcoholic

Here we only sell alcohol in special alcohol shops. Not in grocery stores
That's quite odd. They sell alcohol everywhere in the UK

the-pi-guy

Pezus apparently doesn't live in a free land like some of us.   ::)

Kerotan

In ireland Lidl and Aldi are everywhere.  I believe it was set up by 2 brothers who split into the seperate entities.  

Anyway pre the global recession days which hit Ireland hard,  we all had loads of money and nobody wanted to be seen shopping there.  It was full of all the immigrants.  Eastern Europeans,  Africans etc.  

Then the recession hit and hardly anyway was doing good.  Now nobody wanted to be seen in the posh shops and most couldn't afford anyway.  So the Irish flooded into the Aldi and Lidl stores.  

It's now super popular. Very cheap but also very high quality.  They source a lot of their stuff from Ireland too.  They also began sponsoring lots of Irish things like sporting competitions.  Their image is really good now.  Their popularity is growing massively and they are spreading more and more.

Dr. Pezus

Spoken like a true alcoholic
It's not that odd. More countries have similar restrictions and personally I don't want alcohol in stores here, for public health reasons.

the-pi-guy

I'm surprised this reached two pages...  :o

Xevross

I'm surprised this reached two pages...  :o
It's nowhere near two pages mate

the-pi-guy

It's nowhere near two pages mate
It's on the second page though!  

Go Up