A note about Persona 5 Streaming From Atlus

Started by the-pi-guy, Apr 05, 2017, 05:31 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

A note about Persona 5 Streaming From Atlus - NeoGAF

I recommend reading the entire thing and evaluating it as such but I want to highlight some key points.
Oh boy, it's a big day for ATLUS today. It took us a while (pause for Winter 2014 joke), but Persona 5 is finally out in the West! Seriously, we poured countless hours into making the game as perfect as it can be, and words can't explain how excited we are for you all to finally be playing it. Some of you might be saying "this is totally just PR speak," but I'm telling you it's not. All of us at ATLUS in Japan and America worked our freaking butts off to make sure Persona 5 is worthy of having the Persona name.... Ok, now let's talk Persona 5 streaming and videos. Simply put, we don't want the experience to be spoiled for people who haven't played the game. Our fans have waited years for the game to come out and we really want to make sure they can experience it fully as a totally new adventure. Please read our video/streaming guidelines below:

-You can post however many additional videos you'd like, but please limit each to be at most 90 minutes long. -No major story spoilers, and I'll leave that up to your good judgment. If you need some guidelines, avoid showing/spoiling the ending segments of the first three palaces. While you can show initial interactions with Yusuke, avoid his awakening scene, and that whole deal about THE painting. Also, don't post anything about a certain student investigator. -I know I mentioned not showing the end of each palace, but you can grab footage from the Kamoshida boss fight. However, don't capture video from the other major boss fights. -Must not focus solely on cutscenes/animated scenes, should prominently feature dungeon crawling/spending time in Tokyo. -You can post straight gameplay or have commentary.

This being a Japanese title with a single-playthrough story means our masters in Japan are very wary about it. Sharing is currently blocked through the native PS4 UI. However, if you do plan on streaming, video guidelines above apply except length.If you decide to stream past 7/7 (I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT DOING THIS, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED), you do so at the risk of being issued a content ID claim or worse, a channel strike/account suspension.That being said, Persona 5 is a super special case for us and we're in ongoing discussion about how our policies may evolve in the future. Thanks for reading and good luck in the Metaverse.

For content that takes place past 7/7 they will put out content ID marks and they are attempting to restrict streaming that doesn't meet the above guidelines (???) Honestly I'm a bit confused as to how they intend to accomplish the above but this is directly from them and shared across social media sites (I just found it on facebook) so it's not something targeted at content partners or reviewers.

the-pi-guy

Jimquisition: Oh Atlus, Honey, No... (April 5th, 2017) - NeoGAF

Persona 5 should be reveling in its critical acclaim right now, but it's mired in a bit of bad press thanks to its publisher's attempt to control post-launch video content. An honest case of trying to protect an audience from spoilers, a ludicrous overreach from an out-of-touch company? Both? Both, obviously. Oh, Atlus. You really shouldn't have... Bonus Content: Life Haxz with Jim Sterling

Link to the video! Yeah, definitely saw that one coming...

DerNebel

You know, I get why some people are annoyed by this and I think it's pretty pointless on Atlus' part, but I seriously can't even pretend like I give a dang about this issue.

Raven

You know, I get why some people are annoyed by this and I think it's pretty pointless on Atlus' part, but I seriously can't even pretend like I give a dang about this issue.
Most people really don't. It's stupid, sure. However, it's not something that really affects the average gamer. How many people honestly stopped buying Nintendo because of their war with YouTube personalities over content rights?  I can assure you, no normal person interested in a Switch has refused to buy it because of that.

Mmm_fish_tacos

This does piss me off. But its not like im going to go burn my copy.

BasilZero

Most people really don't. It's stupid, sure. However, it's not something that really affects the average gamer. How many people honestly stopped buying Nintendo because of their war with YouTube personalities over content rights?  I can assure you, no normal person interested in a Switch has refused to buy it because of that.
Difference between Nintendo and Atlus is Nintendo allows the uploading of their content, just if you do, they monetize it.

Atlus is plain blocking out any upload, they dont even bother monetizing the video like the other companies do.

But ya SEGA/Atlus has a mean streak when it comes to their games on YT so I avoid them the plague recording wise. I still play their games though cause thats the main reason why I buy games, just to play them.

Xevross

This is really stupid from Atlus. There's no point going through all this effort and its probably hurting the game's sales more than it would help.