Space exploration and rockets general thread

Started by Legend, Jan 07, 2017, 05:32 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

Legend

DD_Bwest

bah i missed liftoff but got to watch the second stage lol

i wish they gave us current acceleration with the other data lol heck i want a whole bunch of different telemetry :p i can dream of havinf my mechjeb data window lol

Legend

Seems the mini ITS will still be a super huge rocket. These are calculations based off hints/leaks.

And 100 tons of payload to the surface of Mars with refueling in orbit.

This mini ITS is designed for commercial payloads and pioneering the technology needed for the full sized version.

DD_Bwest

Legend

is the mini confirmed yet, or just speculation?
COnfirmed at the same time dragon 2 rocket landing was cut.

DEtails are speculation.

DD_Bwest

those are some pretty nice numbers.  more to LEO than the saturn V and reusable.  6x what the falcon 9 can do. this would really open up the commercial space industry and make large missions much more feasible.   itll be interesting to hear the launch costs, and really makes one question if tis even worth it for nasa to keep developing larger rockets.   they could put the funds towards what to do once in space.

Legend

those are some pretty nice numbers.  more to LEO than the saturn V and reusable.  6x what the falcon 9 can do. this would really open up the commercial space industry and make large missions much more feasible.   itll be interesting to hear the launch costs, and really makes one question if tis even worth it for nasa to keep developing larger rockets.   they could put the funds towards what to do once in space.
Yeah this feels like a Falcon Heavy+SLS replacement. Second stage will be fully reusable so it should be cheaper than FH even for lighter loads.

On one hand it sucks they can't secure funding to jump directly into the full sized version, but on the other hand this'll still be an extremely useful rocket. Could take the first humans to Mars still.

DD_Bwest

Yeah this feels like a Falcon Heavy+SLS replacement. Second stage will be fully reusable so it should be cheaper than FH even for lighter loads.

On one hand it sucks they can't secure funding to jump directly into the full sized version, but on the other hand this'll still be an extremely useful rocket. Could take the first humans to Mars still.
Yea, ITS was on the colonization level,   the mini should be able to do early exploring and pathfinder missions.

I really want to see in orbit refueling and soon.  this all opens up possibilities of missions weve previously dreamed of much sooner than the full ITS

Legend

Yea, ITS was on the colonization level,   the mini should be able to do early exploring and pathfinder missions.

I really want to see in orbit refueling and soon.  this all opens up possibilities of missions weve previously dreamed of much sooner than the full ITS
That's assuming mini ITS doesn't take the same 10 years as full ITS was targeting.

At least with this they'll be able to make money along the way, similar to how propulsive landing was developed.

Legend

Legend

Legend

Legend

Legend

Go Up