Crytek Austin (Vigil) & Crytek UK (Free Radical) Closed (Hunt Moved to Frankfurt)

Started by ethomaz, Jul 30, 2014, 05:12 PM

previous topic - next topic

ethomaz

The Crysis and Ryse: Son of Rome developer is closing its U.K. studio and cutting jobs from its U.S. team in Austin, Texas. Much of the talent from Crytek U.K. will join Deep Silver's new studio in England to continue working on Homefront: The Revolution. The Austin wing of the company will remain open to operate as a support team for North American developers that license the studio's CryEngine development toolkit, but development of co-op thriller Hunt: Horrors of the Gilded Age will move from Austin to Crytek's Frankfurt team. This news comes after months of rumors that the developers was missing payroll payments to its employees.

"As we look to cement Crytek's future, this strategic deal with Koch Media would allow us to continue with our ambitious goals to become an online publisher," Crytek chief executive officer Cevat Yerli said in a statement. "With Warface, Arena of Fate, and Hunt, we believe we have the perfect portfolio and teams to make that happen. We would like to thank all our staff - past and present - in both Nottingham and Austin for their contributions to the company, and we wish all the very best to anyone who may no longer be under the Crytek banner moving forward."

http://venturebeat.com/2014/07/30/crytek-drops-u-k-studio-and-downsizes-its-team-in-austin/

Legend

Sad to hear the rumors were true. At least it's not all of crytek shutting down.

7H3

I really enjoyed crysis 2 personally it had great MP to boot
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Dr. Pezus

Making a game like Ryse a launch game and an exclusive to boot was just stupid

Xevross

Ive never played their games so it doesnt bother me too much. Always sad when jobs are lost though.

BananaKing

Sad to hear the rumors were true. At least it's not all of crytek shutting down.

Cryteck will become a shadow of its self in a few months. i doubt any AAA developed games will be coming out of them anymore. its sad for all the people who lost their job yes. but the company is just trying its best to survive now, and mobile or F2P games seems to be their goal to do so.

Max King of the Wild

One more financial flop and I'm sure the rest is right behind.

Max King of the Wild

Do you guys remember when people tried blaming Sony for killing Free Radical because of Haze?

darkknightkryta

@Max yup.  Though, I found it annoying when people were saying how bad the graphics in Haze were just turn around and say Halo 3 deserved 10/10 graphics...

Dr. Pezus

Hey, I remember enjoying the Haze demo lol.

7H3

haze was a really fun game
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Legend

Never played haze. I was a 360 guy at the time.