Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

There is a difference between mixing things up and flat out pushing a political agenda. Usually the latter deters a lot from the quality of the movie/game/story.
Yeah unless you're a full out super racist/sexist and think people of color/women shouldn't be in media, it makes no sense to boycott something for being "PC." Either the changes harmed the movie/game/story and you'd just avoid it because it's not that good, or the movie/game/story is good and there's no negative for making the changes.

Dr. Pezus

Solo previews $14.1m, less than half of Rogue One. That's bad.

Solo international first two days - $11.4m, less than a third of Rogue One. That's absolutely atrocious.
Uh oh

BananaKing

Yeah unless you're a full out super racist/sexist and think people of color/women shouldn't be in media, it makes no sense to boycott something for being "PC." Either the changes harmed the movie/game/story and you'd just avoid it because it's not that good, or the movie/game/story is good and there's no negative for making the changes.
What bugs me though is when people complain about when a movie/game/series clearly makes a political driven change, and those who don't like it are labeled sexist/racist because they don't like it. An example would be the battlefield 5 case. There were no women in the British infantry, and people complaining about that inaccuracy are suddenly sexist. It's annoying.

Xevross

Uh oh
Yeah. If it plays the weekend like a normal star wars movie (preview dominated) this will be a complete disaster. Like, with a normal SW preview multiplier this is heading way below $100m for the 3 day. Disney gotta hope for an unprecedented amount of walk-ups for the franchise. Thankfully, it is memorial Day weekend so it's possible.

Xevross

Lord above, Deadline are saying the full Friday number will be $33m. This is an early estimate and could be quite a way off, but if that does transpire then this is going to be even worse than anyone could have forseen. I am stunned as to how this could be below $35m, I hope its wrong.

Legend

Lord above, Deadline are saying the full Friday number will be $33m. This is an early estimate and could be quite a way off, but if that does transpire then this is going to be even worse than anyone could have forseen. I am stunned as to how this could be below $35m, I hope its wrong.
I mean there was zero hype. It's not that surprising.

What bugs me though is when people complain about when a movie/game/series clearly makes a political driven change, and those who don't like it are labeled sexist/racist because they don't like it. An example would be the battlefield 5 case. There were no women in the British infantry, and people complaining about that inaccuracy are suddenly sexist. It's annoying.

That's how the internet works in general. Very rarely can things be discussed from the middle ground.

Xevross

I mean there was zero hype. It's not that surprising.
I'd agree with you if we were just talking about slightly disappointing numbers here. The lack of hype was what was leading people to predict $700-800m WW total with a $150m OW domestically. People thought since it was a Star Wars film it'd still have a decent base level of popularity. If Deadline's $33m is right, along with the horror show that is the OS numbers, this is unlikely to even make it to $500m. There's lack of hype and then there's that. For it to be this low, there has to be  fairly widespread boycotts and general massive negativity around the fanbase.

On the bright side, @Pi now has something to compare Ant-Man to :D

the-pi-guy

That's how the internet works in general. Very rarely can things be discussed from the middle ground.
Sorry...

Edit

Although I don't think I've called anyone sexist. 
On the bright side, @Pi now has something to compare Ant-Man to :D
Or maybe I'll compare whatever I want. 

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>Woot!&nbsp; Woot!&nbsp; <br>

Legend

Sorry...

Edit

Although I don't think I've called anyone sexist.  Or maybe I'll compare whatever I want.  

Spoiler for Hidden:

Woot!  Woot!  

I'm sorry too

(What are we sorry about?)

the-pi-guy

I'm sorry too

(What are we sorry about?)
I was arguing that I think the whole "forced diversity" thing is silly.  

Legend

I was arguing that I think the whole "forced diversity" thing is silly.  
I think unless a historical movie/game/story is focusing on the harsh reality of the past, making it more diverse is good.

Xevross

Oh good. Asgard 1 updates saying 37-40m OD. That'd be much more okay for Solo.

Xevross

UK is less than half of RO. In the first 4 days Solo will make about 65% of what TFA made on its opening day in the UK. Ouch. Its only just about going to beat DP2 for the weekend crown it seems.

In India, Solo is a megaflop, its going to lose to Infinity War's 5th weekend there. That's just sad.

Seems like overseas has overwhelmingly rejected Solo.

the-pi-guy

Bridge to Terabithia is the fricken worst.  

Dr. Pezus

Go Up