World of Warcraft hits over 10 million subscribers as Warlords of Draenor launches

Started by Raven, Nov 19, 2014, 10:59 PM

previous topic - next topic

Raven

http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/19/7250737/world-of-warcraft-warlords-draenor-10-million-subscribers

Which represents the highest sudden subscription increase for an expansion in its history. Over 2.6 million more people subscribed to the game within the last two months compared to the 900 thousand or so that subscribed to it within 3 months of Mists of Pandaria's launch. This also means that Warlords of Draenor has, for now, managed to make back all of the subscriptions lost during Mists of Pandaria. As the expansion just launched today in South Korea, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau it is likely that the subscription count will go higher.

Legend

Wow that's pretty impressive.

NeverDies

I'm a WoW addict, so I can't play. It just sucks up my life till I don't do anything. :(
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br /><br />
<br />
<br /><br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Dr. Pezus

Wtf, WoW becoming immortal now?
I thought it was slowly dying

Raven

Wtf, WoW becoming immortal now?
I thought it was slowly dying

A lot of people thought that. The reality is that among MMORPGs it's still the best one out there. One of the big reasons for WoW's decline was because a bunch of competent MMORPGs hit the market over the last few years. The Old Republic, Rift, Tera, Aion, Final Fantasy 14 (the reboot), Wildstar, Guild Wars 2. None of them but FF14 managed to hold the big interest they initially received and the only reason most of them have survived is because they either went Free-to-Play or were Buy-to-Play from the start.

This new expansion didn't come with the same immediate negativity that Mists of Pandaria received because it was cheered by the fanbase as a return to what they feel WoW's setting should be. If you didn't keep up with what people had to say about the last expansion I'll just say that many were not happy at all to have a heavily Asian-themed expansion with panda people that were originally an April Fool's joke. There were definitely a lot of people who loved it but it was still a very divisive subject.

The thing is, if WoW managed to get this many people back with Warlords of Draenor I am completely expecting the next expansion to be an even bigger deal. It's rumored that the next one is called Eye of Azshara based on a trademark request. For anyone who knows a lot about WoW lore, such an expansion would be one that many people have been waiting for. I can also promise you that any expansion focusing on the Burning Legion would send subscriptions through the roof.

BananaKing

massive bump. man this game has made activision blizzard so much money. there will never ever be a cash cow this big. i wonder what will happen to the world of warecraft franchise when this one dies. i mean, it has to, maybe in 10 years, maybe more maybe less. but what will happen next?

Dr. Pezus

Isn't the movie coming next year? That should also help with more subscriptions