When do games "release" ?

Started by Legend, Mar 28, 2018, 08:23 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

With early access and GaaS, how do you think GOTY and other discussions should handle them?

Fortnight has been doing gangbusters but is technically still early access. Personally it'd feel weird to say it hasn't released yet.

the-pi-guy

I feel like it'd be weird to not count Fortnite as already released.  

I'd say if a game is available and not going away, it should probably be considered released.  Even if it's "early access".

Legend

I feel like it'd be weird to not count Fortnite as already released. 

I'd say if a game is available and not going away, it should probably be considered released.  Even if it's "early access".
Yeah that's a good point. If progression carries over from the early access, it has released.

If however the servers will be reset and the official release is beyond a patch or update, then the early access shouldn't count as release.

darkknightkryta

So Fortnite was supposed to be charged and this is beta?

the-pi-guy

Fortnite is going to be Free to play, but right now it's pay to access.  

There's Fortnite Battle Royale which is basically just one mode.   It's a "spin-off".  

Legend

Fortnite and Fortnite Battle Royale are two seperate games. Most people don't even know the first one exists, and most refer to the second as just "Fortnite."

the-pi-guy

Beta's, updates, early access, GaaS.

It's all so weird.  I wonder what the craziest updates to a game have been.

VizionEck should have a crazy update.  Update 2.0 changes Cube Royale to a simple platformer.  Make it happen!  /s

Xevross

I'd argue early access games aren't released until they say they are. GaaS games are released in the state they are, but I guess they can be pretty similar to early access games sometimes. The issue is, they do claim they are released.

Early access games - people who are keen can jump in but devs are admitting its not how they want it to be yet. I'll normally avoid until release, when the devs think its best to play.

GaaS/ live service games - you play from the start, when they're supposed to be good anyway, and get continued good content after launch. to keep you playing.

For example, I'm still avoiding fortnite for now.

the-pi-guy

Early access games - people who are keen can jump in but devs are admitting its not how they want it to be yet. I'll normally avoid until release, when the devs think its best to play.
I feel like it's weird though.  What if they don't even actually change anything from early access to full game?  It just kind of randomly ends up being "released".

Xevross

I feel like it's weird though.  What if they don't even actually change anything from early access to full game?  It just kind of randomly ends up being "released".
Well there'll be lots of incremental updates. If they just say its released without doing any update at the time, they clearly don't care that much or have given up.

Normally games release from early access with a decent update, and that update puts it in the state the devs wanted it to be for release.

Legend

Mar 28, 2018, 11:01 PM Last Edit: Mar 28, 2018, 11:06 PM by Legend
Beta's, updates, early access, GaaS.

It's all so weird.  I wonder what the craziest updates to a game have been.

VizionEck should have a crazy update.  Update 2.0 changes Cube Royale to a simple platformer.  Make it happen!  /s
Well I would love to add a campaign to the game...

edt: haha I'm now getting fortnite ads here.

the-pi-guy

Well I would love to add a campaign to the game...

edt: haha I'm now getting fortnite ads here.
The all watching Google advertisements.  

Dr. Pezus

The all watching Google advertisements.  
Like the eye of Sauron